Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this one and it was not all that big of a oak fork but figured I could make something from it . What I had in mind was a shooter with 3.5 inches out side the forks. Was not to sure how it would go

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So moving on a couple days here what I have . Know I have one problem I either wiped the glue away or was not even enough something went down now I have to fix . So do I jam it with epoxy than ca it or anyone have a better plan of attack . It’s not falling apart or loose but it’s bugging me . Only fix I can think is ca and epoxy. It has 3 coats of tung stuff already. I show u what I have to finish with

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The band grooves r a little wacky but I tried to do them before I rounded out in hind sight should held off but I didn’t, but it’s a nice feeling natty so far just a little cosmetic problems

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Beautiful job PB! I'd guess the glue problem was the result of one surface not being perfectly flat. but that glue job would hold a bear! Is black walnut really that light?

I think it's a nice shape and a nice finish, hope it shoots for ya.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Thats nice.

I like to use spice and CA glue. Spice is essentially super fine clean wood dust and comes in various colours - and you may have on hand in the kitchen. Also helps the CA set pretty quickly. Also you get the smell of whatever spice you used as you sand down.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Beautiful job PB! I'd guess the glue problem was the result of one surface not being perfectly flat. but that glue job would hold a bear! Is black walnut really that light?
I think it's a nice shape and a nice finish, hope it shoots for ya.
I've lived through this same dilema but with a twist. The edges of my scales were flat, but I had a hollow close to one edge. When I sanded it even to the core I opened up the gap. For me I just need to slowww down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Thats nice.

I like to use spice and CA glue. Spice is essentially super fine clean wood dust and comes in various colours - and you may have on hand in the kitchen. Also helps the CA set pretty quickly. Also you get the smell of whatever spice you used as you sand down.
I nabbed this tip from you about a year ago or so. I was using instant coffee crushed down with a spoon for awhile until I realized it wasn't really 'fine' enough. On a Natty I'm working on right now I switched to Ground Cloves. I used ground art pastels a couple of times but I like how the spices have subtle color and actually blend to look like wood grain after finishing. On this project I had just one real hairline crack on the handle but I opened it up a little with a jewelers file so I could get the epoxy blend in there. The other spots were knots and a little bit of wane on the inside edge of the fork.
ca35337f75952d442090784fa0cd195e.jpg

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Thats nice.

I nabbed this tip from you about a year ago or so. I was using instant coffee crushed down with a spoon for awhile until I realized it wasn't really 'fine' enough. On a Natty I'm working on right now I switched to Ground Cloves. I used ground art pastels a couple of times but I like how the spices have subtle color and actually blend to look like wood grain after finishing. On this project I had just one real hairline crack on the handle but I opened it up a little with a jewelers file so I could get the epoxy blend in there. The other spots were knots and a little bit of wane on the inside edge of the fork.
ca35337f75952d442090784fa0cd195e.jpg

This never occurred to me. I've used saw dust before on gun stocks but never spice! Cool!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts