Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how others felt about offset slingshots. Most of the forks in this world are offset and yet I find myself searching for symetrical forks all the time. The truth is that I like offsets and I shoot well with them but I haven't been shooting them much lately.

Geardog32, in his first-ever post, made a nice little Altoids offset frame (The "Mini Offset" Altoids Shooter)and it got me thinking. I shoot symetrical because I shoot both right and left handed but if I were shooting only one or the other I would likely go to an offset frame because of how comfortable they are. I'm thinking I might start looking.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I tend to prefer symmetrical. I think about how much easier it is if I lend a slingshot to a friend or if I decide to give or sell a slingshot. It is much easier if the slingshot can accommodate left and right hand holders.

An asymmetric slingshot that is also ambidextrous by turning it around is okay but I can't just hand it to someone who shoots with a different hand unless it is re-banded.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The offset ones usually look really cool and I seem to desire them more, but I'm always going back to the symmetrical ones. They just seem to work better for me.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I haven't gotten to shoot many varieties (5-10 total), but I do prefer the symmetrical. I just find the look to be way more appealing, and they have seemed more comfortable, not to mention versatile. Then again, maybe the right frame hasn't come along yet...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
When I'm out hiking and packing my limb saw, I'd say 80-90 % of the forks I find are offset. It's tough to find that perfectly symmetrical one.

I can't say I shoot one better than the other but I'm always looking for those perfect forks!

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
I've got it bad. Everywhere I go im looking for that perfect one. I know it's out there. The perfectly symmetrical one with a nice curve that fits my old hand perfectly. I've got more than plenty but im always looking!
Actually there's a crepe myrtle at Kentucky fried chicken that fits the bill, I just can't figure a way to get it!!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I've got it bad. Everywhere I go im looking for that perfect one. I know it's out there. The perfectly symmetrical one with a nice curve that fits my old hand perfectly. I've got more than plenty but im always looking!
Actually there's a crepe myrtle at Kentucky fried chicken that fits the bill, I just can't figure a way to get it!!
I know...... I'll go in and pretend I'm choking on a nugget, original recipe of course and when the employees try to tend to me, you got your fork!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Something tells me - So long as there is choice we may never find that perfect fit ? ..... Let's face it, aside from shooting and hitting that target (occasionally in my case ) there is obviously a great deal of fun to be had from just searching & exploring & discovering the numerous creations and possibilities out there ! .... in fact, this may even be what it's all about, for many of us ! :wave:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I know...... I'll go in and pretend I'm choking on a nugget, original recipe of course and when the employees try to tend to me, you got your fork!!
Teamwork!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I like them both and I think there is room for both in my collection but I do have a favourite...

Offset or asymmetrical frames are superb WHEN they fit your hand. And when it doesn't fit, either because it is the wrong size or because the angles are wrong for your natural alignment, then you simply can't shoot that frame comfortably. I think that's probably why we often see asymmetrical frames being let go of with the often cited reason being "too big for my hand".

Symmetrical frames on the other hand are easier for a shooter to adapt to. It gives more opportunity to vary how we grip and adjust to align to target. So IMO, symmetrical frames are more universal - while not quite one size fits all, it is certainly one size fits most.

Then I would like to add a third and overlapping characteristic that is the ergo frame. Ergo-asymmetrical would limit it to one hand or the other (while boardcut asymmetricals are ambidextrous provided grooves are cut to allow flipping either side). When an ergo-asymmetrical fits, there is nothing more comfortable and for me, this kind of frame would make the most sense as a bespoke custom to fit an individual's hand. They are amazing when it fits.

Then there are ergo-symmetrical frames that I think are the best of both worlds. For me the best ergo-symmetrical is a recurve shaped frame (like the curves of a feihu). When the curves fit, torque loading is soaked up in the palm and you would never feel the need to augment it with grip tape or parachord. The ergo symmetrical frame is my favourite type but I am still searching for the perfect one. I ordered the Wasp TriGrip and we'll see if that fits the bill...

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been told that to be truly beautiful a face must be symmetrical. So, obviously, I know something about symmetrical. Having so said, I have a radical thought. I think the only advantage to a symmetrical slingshot is that it can be used in either hand. There is, in my most humble opinion, no more comfortable slingshot anywhere than a nice asymmetrical natural and yet they are shot so less often than the symmetrical naturals. I think it's an unconcious adaptive thing to go for the symmetrical - more options being able to go left or right, and able to hand it off to someone else.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Unlike, Winnie, I am a bit asymmetrical in the handsome dept. BUT I like any small pfs...I got the charisma and I am eqsy to carry.

This is a fantastic post...I glad I found a year later because now I think I know enough to really appreciate wealth of information here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts