Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished my second slingshot, and I don't how to do an oil finish. Where would you buy the supplies and how would you go about doing it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey redgrange,homedepot, lowes,ace hardware,all have stains and finishes.just pick what you want and read the directions.its as easy as that.if your finishing a showpiece made of exotic wood well,then it gets a little more complicated.have fun.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I think Danish oil works very well and is so easy to do. All you need is the Danish oil and some rags. Wipe it on, wipe it off and let it dry. Keep doing this until it looks good enough to you. A light sanding between coats with 600 grit sand paper makes it real nice.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I use Danish oil, containing Tung oil. Gun oil would do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
good old danish oil,good call guys.have you tried acrylic modified lacquer.it is tough as nails and won't yellow

·
Registered
855 Posts
Another vote for Danish. I brush mine on with a soft paintbrush, wipe it off, let it dry, rinse and repeat until it looks good. Just make sure you wipe it off with something "lint free" as they say. In other words, a cloth that doesn't leave lots of tiney little fibers behind. I've had good luck with some cheap shop rags (not the ones that look like wash cloths) from the hardware store. I just toss 'em out after use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the help. I don't have any danish oil at the moment. So I won't be able to use it on Slingshot Number 2 (what a creative name). But I probably will use it for finishing my third slingshot.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I use tung oil and rub it on........works great everytime !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts