Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have noticed before and remember that a few older ads for slingshots from the 50's and 60's mention that they "shoot air pellets" (I can't find the sources now). If this wasn't just advertising bluff, and if they weren't meaning .177 bbs, then what sort of air pellets were used, and how on Earth did they fly straight?

Of course, it sounds a bit far-fetched, especially since Wham-O described their slingshot, which was designed to shoot .25 steel balls with a basic gum rubber bandset, as being able to "hit as hard as a .22 rifle".

Wham-O-26-1280x752.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mattwalt Ah, yeah, .177 BB's seem to be it. You'd need a pretty thin bandset for those I bet, haha!

I have an idea of how you could theoretically shoot actual pellets with a slingshot. They'd have to be released from the pouch while in a vertical position with the bottom facing upwards. A long-ish cotton tail at the end of each one should help them turn 90 degrees in flight, correcting them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the lead pellets sound like they'd be decent alternative plinking ammo, even though they don't fly head on as is.

That thing looks awesome, really ahead of its time. I wonder how much they go for now....

My postie never uses elastic bands, he always hands me the mail in a loose pile, haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
LOL - before they hand over in a loose pile, think they are give their wagon with the streets all stacked together ... Ask him next time if he has any :)

Game makes a nice round ball lead pellet in .177 - I have seen it in a few places in the UK. Know Decathlon stocks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Do you have any elastic bands on you that are absolutely, definitely, totally NOT going to be used for anything slingshot related at all?" (He knows about the slingshots because the parcels with the ammo in them have caused him to walk funny, hoisting his trousers up before ????)

I may consider getting a tin of Gamo .177 BB's to try. It may even make for some decent slingshot "birdshot"...

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
LOL!!! When I lived in Stratford Upon Avon - he used to simply leave the boxes of ammo on my doorstep - also gather he didn't like carting it around either :)

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/75210-the-asc-blackhawk-slingshot/

This was a vintage Catty that was designed around using birdshot - Though TBH if you are planning on hunting with that type of setup you may cause more injuries than can be justified in our current 'politics'.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, my postie is a determined guy ????

There were all sorts of similarly cool catapults back then, I like the idea behind that one. It'd just be for plinking anyway, I am not nearly accurate enough with a slingshot to hunt yet, and hunting's "targeted" strongly now, as we know.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
In fact slingshot shooting is being closely watched in the UK - So much so the Hunting association has chosen to specifically avoid slingshot hunting.

Really don't think the youtube video's showing guys obviously shooting rabbits and squirrels (often obviously illegally) helps. Plays to the current 'blood lust' aspect of recreational hunting which is one of the areas the government wants to crack down on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, although a fair few of those guys on YT mention in their descriptions that these game animals were only shot for food, and not for fun. The ones I'm talking about are mostly competition shooters, anyway. I'd say a bigger concern was the proud announcements of having setups that rival FAC air guns, surpass sub 12 ft/lb and/or highlighting the potential lethality of certain slingshot setups from within the UK.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
The issue is often location. Granted they often shoot on land they have been allowed access to. The issue is where guys are running around shooting from cars. Legally in the uk a shot over private land is illegal, and road verges actually belong to the queen... see where this is going... also the guys often jump over fences to collect their quarry in a way that simply looks shifty. And presumably is.

Simply put. If you are hunting in the uk then keep well within the law. Try keep it from public gaze, which includes UT.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Shooting very small ammunition seems to be a US thing rather than UK. Here are some examples that were made to shoot .177 BBs or similar projectiles. Some might be classed as toys while others like the Silent Slim were marketed for hunting. Many other forks seemed to use small shot even the Victor 20 used for dispatching fur animals in traps was supplied with quarter inch ammunition, still very small by UK preferences. Talk of firing air-rifle pellets reminded me of an article I have by Fred J Taylor. Fred wrote regularly on subjects such as ferreting and game cooking. This article from The Field (2001) covers his catapult exploits as a kid and also while in the army. Fred mentions his father who was a excellent shot regularly using air-rifle darts as ammunition. Having not heard of this before and with my curiosity stirred I tried them out on our stable door. Loaded vertically point down in the pouch they shoot very well. Unlike air-rifle pellets they strike point first and require pliers to pull them out. Does anyone else use these darts? as reusable target ammunition they could be quite fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Great vintage ad!!

As with all old ads (I remember, for example, pharmaceutics ads) they usually promise more than they can do.

If you watch a soccer game replay from the 50's or 60's, looks a bit slow. But in those days they thought they were the fastest :)

Cheers ...Q

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Matt, from right to left, the Automatic Slingshot ( copy of the Sling-o-matic ) has plastic shot, The Slingo has .177 BBs ( there is one next to it ) the Sling-o-matic same as The Slingo and the little pack of shot belong to the Silent Slim and are lead painted black.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts