Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Title pretty much sums it up. I've spent my whole life shooting, including a few field artillery pieces! I still do as much as I can, my body and God willing. Others violate the law with firearms near houses in this rural neighborhood, but I refuse to. The slingshot is ideal for the ranges and limitations that I am working with. My pcp airgun is a bit of overkill, and besides, not much of a challenge there.

I've been using my Daisy F16 (broke one band already) and am waiting for some real equipment to show up in a few days.

So I'm like (old) new stock in a way, totally open to learning from others who share the goals of accuracy and ethics in shooting.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so I can learn some new tricks.

·
Amateur
2,533 Posts
Welcome! You've come to the right place! I sometimes use a slingshot and non-lethal ammo to dissuade squirrels from ransacking my bird feeders, but I am mostly a target shooter/plinker.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,416 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another old geezer. What kind of critters are you shooting at? Are you shooting to kill or just to scare them off? I know that this forum does not support folks breaking any game laws.

GP

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Welcome..

You can make a real nice shooter out of that F16 ... There is a search function on the upper right of the main page. Search for something like "F16 modifications". That is if you like doing that sort of thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I mentioned ethics in my post. This includes game laws. I had to kill 2 groundhogs with my PCP airgun totally legal in my back yard, I doubt I shall get good enough to repeat that with a slingshot (though I'm sure many of you could). I also want to discourage the whistle pigs so I only have to kill one occasionally to keep them thinned out.

Also discouraging squirrels on feeders and rabbits too close to the garden fence. If my skills are up by hunting season I might try to harvest some of them for cooking, but prefer to keep as many live "eating animals" around in case I can't get to the store or the store isn't there for a while.

I have raccoons and possum running around, too, but usually only see them on the trail cam, and I leave them alone They do no harm to me.

Deer? Never shot one in my backyard since I have a tall fence around the garden. But they come through every night. I can legally use my crossbow in my backyard during deer season, but again saving that resource for a rainy(hungry) day. A sling bow could be made to work, but need to do more research on state law. I would always favor the crossbow for ethical reasons based on ensuring the quickest cleanest kill possible.

I mean I could kill sparrows all day legally with a slingshot but for me it would not be ethical. Someone else's situation might be different.

On converting my F16, yes yes yes ! I will totally do it! I'm a cobbler and jack of all trades wannabe so I'm in. My wife works in physical therapy and I just found gold Theraband in her equipment!

Thanks again for your welcome. I rambled on here just to let you get to know me! I'm sticking to targets until I get the skill level to hunt legally and ethically with a slingshot!

Be well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.