Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am watching the Olympics opening ceremonies thinking about the global community I have seen on the forum. Any chance slingshot could ever be elevated to the level of skeet shooting and archery? It's such a seemingly "folk movement", would we want that kind of mainstreaming? Just a thought.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey, if synchronized swimming and badminton can be Olympic sports, why not slingshooting? Not sure how they decide what sports are in and what ones aren't, but I vote for including it!

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Great question and welcome to the forum buddy! I for one think it is awesome that everybody and their brother doesn't have a slingshot hanging out of their back pocket. Even though some would benifit from this quite a bit$$$, But then again I think it takes a special breed to love slingshots like we do and would probably have trouble finding many people for it to make the mainstream. (give Justin Beiber a slingshot and then we are in business!) Mainstream. I shudder at the word.... Having the prestige of it being an Olympic sport would be pretty cool though And it would justify much of our insanity towards this crazy hobby we all love so much
but I think we all know there is no point in holding an Olympics for slingshot shooting....... Because RAYSHOT will take GOLD everytime!!!! **you owe me Ray

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Yeah, I love BMX and it used to be my main passion, but I'm really not sure if it should be an Olympic sport as it is now. Same for slingshots - the olympics are already kinda turning into the "world wide of every sport on the planet" that airs every 4 years

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey, if synchronized swimming and badminton can be Olympic sports, why not slingshooting? Not sure how they decide what sports are in and what ones aren't, but I vote for including it!
Your correct there. I heard one of the commentators say that it was not just your "Backyard Badminton", it was extreme.I did chuckle. now, Synchronized Swimming is tough. I am sure that there are more "Sling-Shooters" than "Birdie Bashers"

btw Sheila I love your Pinky. I bought my Big Sis a pair of Pink Camo Snake Chaps last year to hunt in Texas. Several of the lady hunters on the lease had to have them a pair also. Our Mom is a double survivor.

ORGANIZATION, ORGANIZATION, ORGANIZATION And it could happen.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
GO SURVIVORS! And God bless 'em too.
I read somewhere that many bow shooters use a slingshot to maintain their hand-eye. If that is true, we can rest assured that many of our Olympic archers employ the "beanshooter ' in their day to day routines. It only makes sense to me as a longbow shooter... I recently took up slingshooting as a means to rehab my torn shoulder. (Jonah fell out of the golfcart and I snatched him just before impact, ripped something in my shoulder. That was last year.) I shot a lot as a kid, but fell out of it when I got away from the open fields that were common in south Miami when I was growing up. The city is no place to go flyin' off willy nilly. Windows still have developed no natural defense to sling, or wind slung projectiles. Tape X's are targets to a Hurricane.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Great question and welcome to the forum buddy! I for one think it is awesome that everybody and their brother doesn't have a slingshot hanging out of their back pocket. Even though some would benifit from this quite a bit$$$, But then again I think it takes a special breed to love slingshots like we do and would probably have trouble finding many people for it to make the mainstream. (give Justin Beiber a slingshot and then we are in business!) Mainstream. I shudder at the word.... Having the prestige of it being an Olympic sport would be pretty cool though And it would justify much of our insanity towards this crazy hobby we all love so much
but I think we all know there is no point in holding an Olympics for slingshot shooting....... Because RAYSHOT will take GOLD everytime!!!! **you owe me Ray
I appreciate the vote of confidence but let's not go over the top. Have you seen others shoot?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Lets keep slingshots to ourselves shall we?
Yeah what he said...in spades.
[/quote]

I agree with these thoughts, for one reason.

Once any activity gets popular and has a large following, it follows naturally, that it would be abused to some extent. Although the abuse may not be extreem and may represents only a small fraction of the total usage, the back lash and uproar from the "Do Gooders" would be deafening.

The few would lobby and generate laws and controls of the sport that would make you think a slingshot was a weapon of mass destruction. From what I hear, many countries are at that point now. It is for this reason, not exclusivity or selfishness, that I could entertain the hope that slingshots not become too popular.

It seems the world has no Champions who will save us from the Do Gooders.

·
TeamPFS
948 Posts
"Promoting" or pushing, or marketing anything is a full of **** endeavor. Slingshots deserve better.

My second point is that... the more people shooting slingshots, the more people doing bad things with them, and in this society that means they will be illegal in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
I appreciate the vote of confidence but let's not go over the top. Have you seen others shoot?
[/quote]
Of course I've seen others shoot. I was being playful. Send me some pouches!

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
I think we should probably try to get it legalised before making it an olympic sport. I think you'd have more luck getting bar fighting in the olympics - it seems to be more acceptable than having a beanshooter in ur pocket here.

·
Fistgrip shooter
415 Posts
I don´t shoot at olympia with my Slingshot, it´s too much stress for me

the forest enough for me.

if there in a few years professionals it will interesting what they can. And what Slings they use.
hightech slings

"Promoting" or pushing, or marketing anything is a full of **** endeavor. Slingshots deserve better.

My second point is that... the more people shooting slingshots, the more people doing bad things with them, and in this society that means they will be illegal in a heartbeat.
i don´t know what happen if some one doing bad things. But, the larger the community and the sport is more difficult it is to ban it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts