Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the precious book written by Jack H. Koehler I realized something wich was in my bak mind since I started using the chinese catty more than my milbro. I am specking of the unpair drowing force that often affect left or right rubbers due to the slipping of the bands on the hole's ear. Obviously this.means erratic shots. Mr Koehler shows howt to realize a simple and usefull tool to verify the equivalence in stronghness and lenght of a pair of rubbers. I replied the tool (is a bearing plastic wheel with short handle, when you slip the leather pouch over it and star drawing the strongher band will make the pouch slip on while the weaker stay back) and realized that it often happens with dankung's else if the to strands sets are perfectly balanced because of the different self positioning of the loops on the rounded ears. Nevertheless looking at videos of chinese shooters I understand that they have found an intuitive way to minimize this effect. Before starting drowing most of them seems to do a a reverse-flipping movent (canting the fork back). Probably this allow a pair slippage of both strans on the top of the ears. Hope did make myself understood

Attachments

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Yes, I always point the handle at the target while pulling back to start the draw. I am also very careful to measure everything when I assemble tube sets to make them even. Of coarse I can't help manufacturing tolerances in the rubber.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hmmm im not quite sure what your talking about the tubes slipping having had a few vodka's, but I use the Dankung everyday and love these fixed tubes I find them very accurate and safe and can hit the one p peice from 48ft regularily it is a bit larger than your thumb nail.when a tube snaps it does not fly back and hit you, unless you are pulling them back to their absolute maximum even then its not that bad.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I shoot well with dankung, but out of nowhere come many fork hits. I almost never get fork hits with any other slingshots. This I attribute to maybe the tubes catching on different parts of the ears. I try to keep the fork very square with the target every time I shoot. Then suddenly a fork hit nonetheless! It baffles the heck out of me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smitty, I think you got the point. Aiming with the handle to the targhet before than with the fork make booth loops settling in the upper part of the ears. Thumb up!

Hawk, prosit, I would not like to be on the side of the bullìs eye of your's shooting. Anyway else if i am not as skilled as you I don't believe dankung are not efficient, at the contrary. I like the them a lot. But I was surprised from having, generally good resolults, and random some absoutly bad shots

Dayhiker, I have tre D. the one I use intensively is a traditional chinese one, 120mm haight, 95mm end of the ear to end of the ear, but less than 45mm internal width (very thick wire). But I dont' have fork's hits at all. mae be there is something in your's grip? Shooting with thumb and index up is an habit I got since I was 10 years old and probably this helpes me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I get fork hits from time to time with all my slingshots when I am shooting for speed and using 3/8 hex nuts filled with lead,(they measure 9/16 on the outside), and I figure it is because I don't seat them properly in the pouch and they are LARGE, I also have the problem when shooting ROCKS, But when i use smaller ammo and really pay attention to what I am doing =no problem,and I have noticed that my pouch life is really short from shooting the random and weird size ammo, just kind of study your shooting style, probly somthing simple that your'e doing

I shoot well with dankung, but out of nowhere come many fork hits. I almost never get fork hits with any other slingshots. This I attribute to maybe the tubes catching on different parts of the ears. I try to keep the fork very square with the target every time I shoot. Then suddenly a fork hit nonetheless! It baffles the heck out of me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fork hits with dankung are, in my practice, from a lack of "flip" in the flip-style of shooting them. Try and more consciously flip it upon release and see if that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have never had a fork hit with my homemade or my Dankung and have had that since october last year but then I always shoot the same size ammo 9.5mm steel,the only ammo I shoot every now and again is 6mm and dont get hits with those either.And always use the flip style seems like it is your style & Njenkins is right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey dayhiker, I had a lot of fork hits with Dankung and even boardcuts with flatbands until I discovered it was how I was gripping and holding the pouch. I am a traditional archery shooter and always anchor at the corner of my mouth placing my middle finger tightly into the corner of my mouth. I naturallly assumed a good consistant anchor point with a slingshot was important so I placed my index filnger tightly into the corner of my mouth when shooting with the forks horizontal. Or my thumb when shooting forks vertical. I must have been cocking the pouch, and I always hit the left fork. I started drawing the pouch to my jaw past my mouth with my hand lightly brushing my jaw and hold the pouch without cocking it. Worked for me, only an occasional fork hit when not paying attention what I'm doing. Just proves there are what I believe many different reasons for fork hits. They always catch us off gaurd, like what happened ???

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've considered filing to round grooves into the top of the ears on my Dankun and then ensuring that the bands slip into these before each shot, hopfully this will along for more consistant band alignment. I've not had a fork hit with my Dankun but have had some erratic shots that have been nowhere near my target.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hmmm im not quite sure what your talking about the tubes slipping having had a few vodka's, but I use the Dankung everyday and love these fixed tubes I find them very accurate and safe and can hit the one p peice from 48ft regularily it is a bit larger than your thumb nail.when a tube snaps it does not fly back and hit you, unless you are pulling them back to their absolute maximum even then its not that bad.
A one p piece!? look out pheasants!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts