Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big lead launcher
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking after the wifes Nephew in a couple of days so I thought I'd show him how to shoot. I've made him this out of yew.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
130.JPG

132.JPG

135.JPG

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    83.9 KB Views: 5
  • 98.2 KB Views: 5
  • 107.4 KB Views: 6

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
You have some skills, man! How is that sideways tab attachment working out? I could not get mine to stay seated.

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
Why do you use tabs with flatbands? Seems like a lot of bother for no discernible gain, plus it costs you active band length.

·
Big lead launcher
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, it's great to hear such positive comments from such a talented bunch.
@ capnjoe yeah I love the side to side tabs, I whip them on with braided fishing line or linen thread and pull tight on every turn. Not had a fail yet.
@ Mopper good question. I like the traditional look and I'm not keen on bands pulling straight over the tops of forks. Just looks like a lot of band wearing friction. I started a thread in either the bands or general section about gypsy tabs and a lot of good info got thrown in there.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Why do you use tabs with flatbands? Seems like a lot of bother for no discernible gain, plus it costs you active band length.
@ Mopper, one of the reasons to use tabs with flatbands is if you make a permanently tabbed fork, it is versatile enough to use either tabs or tubes.

@Hawkman, I have never had a set of bands break at the fork tips shooting OTT. The bands have always broken at the pouch. Always, even after re-tying and shooting some more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats well tidy :)

I put tabs on all the slingers I build That way I can use bands or tubes and I think they look real good .

The wee fella is gonna love it .

Cheers

AL

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yew sure is a pretty and colorful wood. next to spalted wood, as that is my favorite! I wonder if Yew can get spalted as it is on the toxic side from what I hear?

·
Big lead launcher
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yew sure is a pretty and colorful wood. next to spalted wood, as that is my favorite! I wonder if Yew can get spalted as it is on the toxic side from what I hear?
I've got a fork which I cut from the same branch as this and it has some unusual spalting marks on it. When it's finished I'll post it on here.
Yeah I've heard it's toxic as well. When I've been working on it I've noticed chest pains but they may have been coincidental. I'd suggest working outside with it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've got a fork which I cut from the same branch as this and it has some unusual spalting marks on it. When it's finished I'll post it on here.
Yeah I've heard it's toxic as well. When I've been working on it I've noticed chest pains but they may have been coincidental. I'd suggest working outside with it.
I think you should do some research on the effects of yew. What can be done to be safe. Do it before you work on anymore Yew! You can never be to safe, not when it comes to your health.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
@hawkman

indeed be very careful working on yew. for what i have read, the inhalation of saw- and sanding dust can be LETHAL.

alas, no links i can readily think of, but im sure wiki or the wood database or some other, more knowledgable forum member can provide you with more specific info.

gorgeous lil shooter you made by the way!

all the best,
remco

1 - 14 of 14 Posts