Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Jaybird sent me this frame the other day. Bless him ,he knows I suffer very badly form slingshot illness and just love getting surprises in the mail. Jay picked this frame up at a local gun show. This is a "Sharpshooter" slingshot from mid to late 50's. This was the time of Wham-o, Milligan,Mulders, Delong and a ton of other slingshots on the market. It seems that every magazine had slingshot ads towards the back pages. This one was a Japanese model. The Japanese at that time were cloning everything and slingshots were just another item to copy. At that time , Japanese products were often ridiculed-and for many valid reasons. Take a look at the wood and the overall design,cheap pine,badly worked and a sight system that gets covered up when gripping no matter what type grip you use? This was typical of the many products they were trying to turn out at a super fast rate. "Made in Japan" was a standard phrase when I was a kid that was used to denote bad or cheap products. Look at the Japanese now. Quality is excellent and their products are great. Now it's the Chinese and "made in Hong Kong" that are getting the rap. Give them a few years and look out. Everyone has their turn. Another colorful addition to my collection-with a little history lesson behind it!!! Thanks Jay!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Boy that is cool, a little funky, but neat to see. Being a kid of the 60's I well remember the stamped out low quality items of the time. At the time my Dad ( A pacific war veteran) would not buy anything made in Japan. That changed in the late 60's with all the Japanese motorcyles, he loved motorcycles, and Japan made some good ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.