Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some weeks ago, I collected some forks of European beech to make my first natural slingshots.

Glove Plant Gesture Grass Groundcover

I have chosen to work with the fork on the left and in the middle. The left fork was not formed so much, I more or less left it in its natural shape. I finally soaked it in cold pressed linseed oil for 4 days and buffed it up with bee wax after drying. Here, the pictures of the crafting process and the final fork:

White Black Human body Font Wood

The middle fork came out very different. Here, I used a really thick fork, which I shaped a lot. After oiling & waxing, I was very surprised how much the wood has darkened.

Human body Mammal Wood Font Musical instrument

I really wonder, if both forks are from the same type of wood. Could it be, that the second fork is from a much older branch which has already turned into deadwood? Probably, the wood-experts among you guys can help me. I will band them as soon I receive the leather, I have ordered for the pouches and send pictures of the finished slingshots. Thanks for watching!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great job on the forks! I love European beech, but mine look slightly different than yours. Maybe the region where the wood is from causes different apperances. The coloration on that darker one is amazing, I have never seen European beech look like that. I think your assumption that it was already dead is the likely cause of the color. A lucky find on that one I must say!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great job on the forks! I love European beech, but mine look slightly different than yours. Maybe the region where the wood is from causes different apperances. I live west of Mannheim, in Kaiserslautern. Where in Germany are you? The coloration on that darker one is amazing, I have never seen European beech look like that. I think your assumption that it was already dead is the likely cause of the color. A lucky find on that one I must say!
Thanks a lot! I am not sure, if the wood is really beech. It could be also European hornbeam. Probably I got confused with the translation because in Germany, the beech and the hornbeam are both called "Buche"

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
that darker one looks like no Beech I've ever seen!! although with spalting??

its astoundingly beautiful though!!

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
Both of those are beautiful!

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Both very nice,well done!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts