Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

With winter on our doorstep and reduced performance of rubber in colder temperatures, the logical temptation is to set up a suitable catch box or other ammo retention method to shoot indoors.

Unfortunately, glass windows, wall plaster, wood doors, the cherished crockery set from aunt Jennifer, and that ceramic coffee set you gave your wife for her birthday do not get along too well with sizzling steel ammo flying around the house erratically after a bad release :hmm: : that all familiar sound of broken glass or the sight of dented plaster makes all of us cringe, right? A recipe for a perfect storm at home...hmm.

A shooting tunnel made of PVC or aluminum tubes, covered with metal or resistant synthetic mesh, and consisting of 3 to 4 different sections that could be folded for storage, might be an answer for those without a suitable area in their house or apartment seeking to keep up their shooting skills during the winter season. In terms of width, I would assume that an inner width between 50 to 80 cm (19.6 to 31.4 inches) should be sufficient, with a regular backstop at the far end of the "tunnel".

I've attached a rough drawing of what I am thinking about: do you think this is practical, assuming that sound engineering turns it into something that could be easily assembled, and subsequently dismantled for easy storage?

Let me know what you think. It's just an idea...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
You could simply make a big portable backstop - sheet or curtain on a frame - that would provide ample leeway for all but the most errant of shots.

The biggest risk for a wild shot that'll break something is a fork hit.

Your proposed tunnel won't protect against that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If having something like that stretched out through the house doesn't bother her would she really be that upset about an occasional stray shot?

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
I luckily don't have too many flyers and have access to both an covered outdoor range as well as a good clear path through the lounge into the garage where I can easily get 10m so for me its just a simple catchbox thats needed. Indoor I prefer a lightweight BB or airsoft setup which does potentially save on too many accidental breakages of heirlooms. In that case I also try shoot with a curtain as a backstop to be extra safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts