Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this a while back, but just now have seen It to completion. Osage is so beautiful, and I think this frame really shows it off. It is sanded to 2000 grit, and finished with Danish oil. It only has one coat on it right now, but will likely get a few more in the future.
152f76b154a23a32a96b96ebccfb3e19.jpg
f640ee3aa8ac80067b2556ae44899254.jpg
2df4c43afbc50c8b0a2a15b13580964d.jpg
711114bc1701775f5407f5bf4f97cbbb.jpg
e8fbf53f5e34f6e6980b9484da785d7c.jpg

The pictures don't fully capture it, but in the sunlight this frame absolutely glows!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
That is absolutely gorgeous! How may I ask do you get such a clean curve? Or is that a secret lol :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No secrets! For the "scoop" by the forks, I used a spindle sander to rough it out and then sandpaper wrapped around a pipe to clean it up. The rounded back was done on a belt sander.

Thanks M.J! It was really a simple build, I'm just showing off the wood!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
No secrets! For the "scoop" by the forks, I used a spindle sander to rough it out and then sandpaper wrapped around a pipe to clean it up. The rounded back was done on a belt sander.

Thanks M.J! It was really a simple build, I'm just showing off the wood!

Thanks so much for sharing! But I think you're being modest, that thing's a real piece of art my eyes! :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was starting to wonder when the next MIsling stunner was gonna come out..

Not a pickle fork guy myself, but the expert level of finishing here is clear as day.

You really made the material sing.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Awesome!!! I am fortunate to have one from the man himself from chili to my hands :) .. it's super nice . Haven't showed it some love in quite some time ! Gonna have to do that ... you did a great job on this one buddy !!! Looks so good in the Osage orange!!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I just today printed some pdfs for the Conus frame. And now I am absolutely inpired. That is perfectly carved and sculpted to show that beautiful figure (which is a wood worker term in this subject).

100 year post. I would not mind collecting a bit of those bits. I will be trying this on walnut 1st because I have some... but I will be see osage. Woooo! That's good stuff, Misling.
What size contect wheel or belt sander did you use? Curious Pats want to know.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just today printed some pdfs for the Conus frame. And now I am absolutely inpired. That is perfectly carved and sculpted to show that beautiful figure (which is a wood worker term in this subject).

100 year post. I would not mind collecting a bit of those bits. I will be trying this on walnut 1st because I have some... but I will be see osage. Woooo! That's good stuff, Misling.
What size contect wheel or belt sander did you use? Curious Pats want to know.
I used a 1.5 inch drum on my spindle sander for the scoop by the forks, and a flat belt sander for the rest of the shaping. Oh, I started the finger groove with a 1/2 inch drum and finished it with a rat tail file.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Dude I keep coming back to look lol this thing is just butter lol.

Reactions: MIsling
1 - 17 of 17 Posts