Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
I haven't seen this topic brought up here formally yet, so...What other sorts of stuff are you guys into other than slingshots? My hobbies/interests are (in no particular order): Knives. All sorts of knives. Fixed blades, folders, whatever. If it's got a blade and a handle, I dig it. Next would be vintage video/computer games. In this respect, I'm an Atari nerd. Whether it's a 2600, 5200, 7800, 400/800 computer, XL/XE computer, or ST computer. If it was made before 1990, has an Atari nameplate on it and can play games, I dig it. Third would be reading. I almost always have several books going at once. I read a bit of everything, but I tend to prefer fictional stuff. Mark Twain and H.P. Lovecraft are the two authors whose works I revisit the most. As far as I know, I've read nearly everything each ever wrote.

Btw, I was also a collector of swords for a time and also into black powder/muzzleloading guns and traditional archery, but these have all fallen by the wayside as money has gotten tighter and prices have gone up.

What are you guys into?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Here is my other hobbie, the love of my life. my dogs, jeff

Sindy

Flo

Dusty (Flo's Daughter)

The 2 sisters, Billie jo

Here sister Gyspy

now the 3 little ones, 1st Daisy the mother of the next 2
Daisy

Peanut

last Rosa.

·
Registered
286 Posts
...these have all fallen by the wayside as money has gotten tighter and prices have gone up...
Knives and Flashlights have pretty much priced themselves out of the hobby-ballpark for me, and I've put them on the back burner for now.

Sadly, I have recently been rendered impecunious due to post-retirement and intra-recession issues. ...But as I glance through the thousands of emails trapped in my spam filter -- I do believe that things are starting to look up! (After purging the filer of 872 E.D. medication assistance offers and 417 "Jupiter Jack" advertisements -- my eyes have fallen upon no less than six -- yes, six -- offers from wealthy foreigners who truly care about me as a person and who are going to be mailing me MILLIONS of dollars to assist them with their Central Bank of Nigeria accounts?!)
So that's some good news, right?! Prosperity is just around the corner, I'll bet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I write a little fiction, a draw a little and I play a few role playing games. Not the online mmorpg, but the sit down with friends and make a story kind.

I can't afford knives, but they sure look awesome, and I add my admiration for "shot in the foot's" dogs.

Other hobbies I've given up for funding issues include miniature wargames and the SCA. (sca.org)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I read, used to do brazilian jiujitsu, love camping, bushcraft, fishing, anything outdoors really. And spending time with the family. I also golf from time to time but that is the expensive one that I've kind of written off. Maybe my slice had something to do with that. Hmm..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't seen this topic brought up here formally yet, so...What other sorts of stuff are you guys into other than slingshots? My hobbies/interests are (in no particular order): Knives. All sorts of knives. Fixed blades, folders, whatever. If it's got a blade and a handle, I dig it. Next would be vintage video/computer games. In this respect, I'm an Atari nerd. Whether it's a 2600, 5200, 7800, 400/800 computer, XL/XE computer, or ST computer. If it was made before 1990, has an Atari nameplate on it and can play games, I dig it. Third would be reading. I almost always have several books going at once. I read a bit of everything, but I tend to prefer fictional stuff. Mark Twain and H.P. Lovecraft are the two authors whose works I revisit the most. As far as I know, I've read nearly everything each ever wrote.

Btw, I was also a collector of swords for a time and also into black powder/muzzleloading guns and traditional archery, but these have all fallen by the wayside as money has gotten tighter and prices have gone up.

What are you guys into?
Like you Pelleteer I'm into muzzleloaders and blackpowder guns in general. I have several cap and ball revolvers, 5 bp rifles and several modern shotguns, pistols and a few rifles. Still like the shooting sports but ammo prices and gun prices in general have gone way up during the past few years. Still a few I want to collect but aquisitions have slowed down. I recently bought a piece of rural property in northern NH and am putting a yurt on it this spring. It will be my hunting HQ as well as a family retreat. Love camping but the wife needs the creature comforts the yurt will provide. Love fishing summer and winter and being outdoors when ever I can. Slingshots are a way of collecting and indulging a hobby without breaking the bank plus I love the challenge of hitting the target with my slingshots. I also love growing veggies in the short NH growing season.

Don

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
First my Lady

Then my best friend

Then my toys

I also read when I can (fantasy and scifi mostly with a bit of historical R E Howard is my Favorite now and forever), I enjoy cooking, I love to write but never seem to have the time when the muse is there. Watching bad Scifi and Ghost Hunters. That's all Folks...

·
Registered
286 Posts
...You gonna share some of those millions people are promising you?
You know -- it's strange, but ever since I left that large cash "deposit of good faith" under the manhole cover at Hollywood & Vine as they instructed -- I can't seem to get them to answer my emails anymore?!?! It's probably just a temporary communications glitch. I'm gonna be rollin' in it any day now, I'm sure of that!

·
Resigned
946 Posts
View attachment 518
Here is my other hobbie, the love of my life. my dogs, jeff

Sindy

Flo

Dusty (Flo's Daughter)

The 2 sisters, Billie jo

Here sister Gyspy

now the 3 little ones, 1st Daisy the mother of the next 2
Daisy

Peanut

last Rosa.
Hey shot in the foot I love your dogs, we used to have a lurcher best dog we ever had. Knife making and traditional archery. Not going well at the moment my favourite bow blew up on me a few weeks back, NO way I can afford to replace it.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,623 Posts
I hunt deer with bow, rifle, shotgun, and handgun,
Whitetails that is,
Also an advid spring turkey hunter.
I restore old snowmobiles.
I am a ham radio operator....KC2SPU is my handle.
I build electronic gizmos like amplifiers, and music organ lights, and FM radio broadcast units.
I love fishing...all kinds.
I play guitar...loudly with lots of distortion and reverb... i know some chords

I build slingshots...and love to shoot them.
BB

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Other hobbies? Where do I begin?
#1 my little boys-Yorkies and the loves of my life
Slingshots of course
Bass Fishing
Surf Fishing
Metal Detecting
Mountain Biking
Bowling
Woodworking
Auto Detailing
Canoeing
and finally-TIME.trying to find enough of it to enjoy the above and more!!!!!!! Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awwwww...Who couldn't love two little faces like those?
Nice little boys, Flat!
I have an odd assortment of animals. I currently have 5 cats, 2 mice, and 9 rats (yes.....RATS!
). I've had cats all my life and have had mice and rats for about 20 years. Only trouble with them is you go through a lot of them, as they only live a few years (mice live about 2-3 and rats about 3-4, maybe 5 if you're really, really lucky).

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Scott,
my boys are the greatest gift. A lady told me once and I'll never forget it " They are gifts from God on loan to us". They are so much fun and are so happy sometimes they just burst into what the wife and I call a "happy dance". They'll run and jump up on the couch and start scratching and rolling and spy eying us with their tongues rolling and we just keep egging them on-hysterical! We do all their grooming too-even nails (I use my Dremel). Hope to get out tomorrow if this storm ever stops. We are getting killed up here in the NY metro area with a huge Northeaster. It will really do a number on the beaches so it's a good time for the metal detector if and when it stops! Cool!
Flatband

1 - 20 of 26 Posts