Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't shot OTT as much as TTF and haven't shot OTT for a while. I have also just started playing with butterfly. I recently came across something I may have mis-understood. Or, maybe I've got it right. So I would like to pick the collective brain of this forum.

I hope the pics below show what I am talking about. When I started shooting OTT using short draw I learned that the bands should make a "V", and not and "A", with the "V coming from each band twisting 90 degrees by the time it got to the pouch. And with the bands twisting like this in opposite directions, the "V" shape that mimics the fork shape forms and hopefully helps guide the ammo through the fork and away from the handle.

When I started trying butterfly I came across info saying OTT is more the norm and less likely to have fork hits. I also came across some band mounting methods where the bands are twisted 180 degrees from each other with one "facing up" and the other "facing down". When mounted like this the pouch folds over on itself and sits flat rather than making a "V". If I understand correclty, this pouch orientation would seem to push the ammo straight through the fork instead of nudging it up away from the fork like the "V" shaped mounting would do.

So my questions- do I have these right, and if so, are there any pro's or con's to OTT mounting for a "V" vs a flat? Is there any reason to not use the "flat pouch" mount for short draw OTT, or, any reason why a "V" mount would be preferable?

Thanks in advance- I am looking forward to learning from the answers here.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Arturo calls the top one "pre-turned" or "pre-twisted" all my PFS and gapper butterfly setups are this way. Some of my short draw are setup pre-twisted and V. I definitely prefer pre-twisted for my style of shooting.

I shoot gangsta and with the V setup I naturally twist the pouch thumb nail to my cheek for short draw anyway. To me the pre- twisted method just takes that step out of the equation.

The way it was explained to me lay the band flat and the one on the bottom goes to the bottom fork. That way when you shoot, the band on the bottom helps guides the pouch/ammo over the fork tips sorta like the reasoning behind the V ott setup

Arturo and I believe Palmettoflyer have videos

Mike

·
Registered
763 Posts
I shoot right hand hold gangsta also and have the top band laying as in the "V" and the lower band laying as in the "A". When drawn with the fingernail in toward the cheek you get a single band edge view to the target and the pouch is pretwisted to clear the forks. I've had few fork hits doing it this way on Monroe's suggestion,,,works butterfly, short draw or PFS although I don't do the latter much.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I use both, the pre tuned on my pfs and the V method on my wide gap slingshots. I do have some of my wide gaps banded using the pre tuned method but prefer the V banding on them.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am RHH gangsta as well. As if I don't do enough experimenting, I think I will try pre-turned for short draw OTT as well.

I think I need to start figuring out how to take good slow motion video as part of my ongoing fiddling with things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.