Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
Been discussed many times but here's the way I look at it. Obviously the Chinese are the top shooters in the world so if it's "only" accuracy your after look at what they're shooting.
For me it's personal preference OTT is quieter for hunting

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been discussed many times but here's the way I look at it. Obviously the Chinese are the top shooters in the world so if it's "only" accuracy your after look at what they're shooting.
For me it's personal preference OTT is quieter for hunting

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Bill Hays does very well with TTF. Here is a video of him hitting a pop can from 400'.

You have to find a design that fits well with your shooting style. I shot OTT for over 10 years and still enjoy this style. A few months ago I gave TTF a serious attempt and I'm enjoying it. From my experience I find TTF gives me less flyers, has a better feel during band recoil, good accuracy (10-20 yds), and never any handslaps. I found a TTF frame that let's me hold with straight wrist like a recurve bow. I still enjoy OTT but now have a fresh opinion on TTF. Once the snow leaves I'll be able to compare OTT and TTF for long distance shots to see which I prefer.

Some frames will allow you to use both band attachment methods to compare (universal fork tips). Some designs have fixed forks but are available in both OTT and TTF versions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill Hays does very well with TTF. Here is a video of him hitting a pop can from 400'.

You have to find a design that fits well with your shooting style. I shot OTT for over 10 years and still enjoy this style. A few months ago I gave TTF a serious attempt and I'm enjoying it. From my experience I find TTF gives me less flyers, has a better feel during band recoil, good accuracy (10-20 yds), and never any handslaps. I found a TTF frame that let's me hold with straight wrist like a recurve bow. I still enjoy OTT but now have a fresh opinion on TTF. Once the snow leaves I'll be able to compare OTT and TTF for long distance shots to see which I prefer.

Some frames will allow you to use both band attachment methods to compare (universal fork tips). Some designs have fixed forks but are available in both OTT and TTF versions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill is a great inovator and a great shot. His process goes deeper than just shooting straight. His frames just plain work. I read something he wrote that the greatest accuracy can be achieved with a purpose built ttf frame. But, he can rule with ott as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill is a great inovator and a great shot. His process goes deeper than just shooting straight. His frames just plain work. I read something he wrote that the greatest accuracy can be achieved with a purpose built ttf frame. But, he can rule with ott as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I learned using TTF, but the band kept hitting my thumb when I shot and it was constantly sore, so I switched to OTT. I can't tell a difference in accuracy between the two. I've gotten better using OTT, but that is most likely just general improvement.

I think for me, it's easier to line up the band for aiming with OTT, but I don't think the difference is much.

I doubt very seriously there's any inherent accuracy difference, just a difference in the way the shooter interfaces with the equipment.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Personally I prefer ttf. That might just be because I have way more practice with ttf though. I feel like ott is a bit more temperamental with regards to my form and release and so on. I also get no handslap with ttf regardless of what band/ammo configuration I use. If I want to shoot "well" I would go ttf l, but I'm finding Ott to be fun being as its a bit different for me and makes a change.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback. I am a TTF guy. Got a few OTT frames, but for consistency its TTF for me. This is open for change. Found this to be quite interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts