Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my second hand scorpion a couple days ago. It feels amazing in the hand. However I am having issues with the whole TTF thing, so I am thinking about modding the forks to OTT. Anyone ever try this? Any particular reason why it would be a bad idea? Any tips for working with the material used to make the frame? Any advice would be welcomed, so thanks in advance for your input :)

P. S. Have a great day :)

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
I set mine up once with 1632 singles OTT and shot bbs with it. It would probably work with larger diameter tubes as well. I haven't tried tying on flats OTT on the stock tips, but I bet it would work ok.

Curious to see the mod if you go through with it.

bb_scorp.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one and modding it to take tubes (a bit like slingdude). But I was thinking drilling a 1/8" hole in the centre of the band groove and using a matchstick type attachment.

To convert to OTT - just not sure you have enough meat to work with...

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
i like the idea of OTT but i have actuallylearned to shoot this one and the Sniper TTF decently,took a rabbit with the skorpion last winter at about 15 yards,and {accidently] a possum at 50 feet with the sniper and a marble.look forward to seeing what you come up with tho :)

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I must have been blinded by love, all the times I've looked at scorpion's and it never occurred to me it's a ttf lol

Definitely looking forward to what you guys come up with for ott, and maybe need one to learn ttf again

·
Neophyte
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran it with tubes today and it was an excellent experience overall. I think that if I lower the fork tips a bit it will reduce torque. Maybe add some band grooves in the other direction I will have what I am looking for. Even shooting it TTF I do not use up all the available band attachment surface so I am not worried about that.

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
thinking about this a bit more, If you cut off like 1/2 or 2/3 of the existing tips and filled in the existing TTF band grooves with jb weld or something similar and then smoothed it all out, you'd have a nice flat, smooth, descent sized tip for tying on OTT flats.

·
Neophyte
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK here is the progress so far. I did not finish out the tips because I want to shoot it a little and be sure I like the new fork height. I am thinking I'll just add crosswise grooves to make it a universal tip as the fillers I am familiar with will not bond to the frame material. Too dark to try it out but it feels nice so far :)

Attachments

·
Neophyte
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still shooting it with the tubes till I get the time and energy together to finish sand and polish the fork tips so the real fun can begin and I can band her with some flats.

·
Neophyte
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have things smoothed down so I can use flat bands with the OTT Scorpion now. Some notes, it shoots just as well and as accurately / smoothly / comfortably as I had hoped it would :) I did have one unexpected issue though. The slope of the frame at the point where I made my cuts meant that the band ties would just ride up and off. To fix this I cut grooves all the way around each fork, problem solved. The low forks and ergo grip of the frame mean very minimal wrist strain even with heavy band sets.

Attachments

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
That looks great, Raventree! I really like low fork tips for OTT, and i bet this feels really nice to shoot!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Great mod! Personally I wouldn't do it, but seeing that you are in love with ott, what you did was smart and great!

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts