Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of my walks with my dogs, through my local woods, I found a three way fork, in a pile of recently coppiced Hazel. I removed one of the legs, and left the bark around the area where I had removed it. The shape, really lent itself to a hole in a tree, so I hand carved a barn owl in the hole and varnished it. Quite pleased with it. FE3AE2FE-CD3C-46FD-BCE1-C71FC39D0AF6.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
That was a lucky find, That fork has nice semitry and is plenty thick Looks like it could punch with some power.I think your on to something with the painted carvings.I look forward to seeing more.

Keep it away from your dogs and dont shoot the owls.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a lucky find, That fork has nice semitry and is plenty thick Looks like it could punch with some power.I think your on to something with the painted carvings.I look forward to seeing more.
Keep it away from your dogs and dont shoot the owls.
Many thanks. Owls are my favourite bird, I was brought an injured one, when I was younger, and I managed to fix him up and send him back to the wild. Lovely bird, but he was a bad tempered little thing

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
That's a fun spin on your fork!

I too love birds of all kinds. A few years ago, I was sound asleep with the windows open and I was awakened by what I swore could only be bigfoot!! A couple minutes later he yelled again, holy crap! I grabbed my flashlight, ran outside in my skivvies and had a look around and he yelled again. WTF??? Of course I couldn't find him, so I went through the process of elimination .......I googled Screech Owl and BINGO. I had seen a couple of those little buggers before, but how that wall of sound comes out of that little bird is beyond me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a fun spin on your fork!

I too love birds of all kinds. A few years ago, I was sound asleep with the windows open and I was awakened by what I swore could only be bigfoot!! A couple minutes later he yelled again, holy crap! I grabbed my flashlight, ran outside in my skivvies and had a look around and he yelled again. WTF??? Of course I couldn't find him, so I went through the process of elimination .......I googled Screech Owl and BINGO. I had seen a couple of those little buggers before, but how that wall of sound comes out of that little bird is beyond me!
Ha ha, I was night fishing on a river in Yorkshire, the river wasn't very wide, I could hear an owl in the trees on the opposite bank, then I saw it flying over the river, I caught it in the beam of my head torch, then it got bigger and bigger until it was about to land on my head, I could see it's massive eyes looking straight into mine, I fell off my seat, kicked my gear all over the place, and the owl landed in a bush just at the back of me. WTF indeed ????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts