Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. Wood Nail Plastic Fashion accessory Electric blue
Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument
Shorts Plant Musical instrument Tree Player
My son, grandson and I are avid slingshot shooters. Earlier this year my son, Christopher "Skunk Buster", and I came up with the idea to introduce his Cub Scout Pack to the sport of slingshots. He is the Scoutmaster of Pack 673 Wolf Den located in Cleburne, Texas - about 50 miles south of Fort Worth.
The slingshot would have to be easily gripped by a small hand and the bandset would have to be light enough so that the slingshot would be easy to aim and fun to shoot over an extended period. Christopher approved a modified ergo design made of 3/4" poplar, scalloped at the top of the handle to easily allow a hammer grip. The bandsets were made with 1/8 ID, 3/16 OD, 1/32 WALL latex tubing - very easy to pull and plenty fast. I use a 1cm wide band of latex tubing to affix the bandset to the fork and then secure the band and the bandset with a cable tie. The cable tie does not cut into the bandset because the band is wider than the cable tie. The slingshot was marginally finished and it was up to each Scout to make his slingshot uniquely his own.
On 4 April nine wide-eyed Cub Scouts were given their unfinished slingshots. Christopher and I made a presentation on parts of the slingshot, history of the sport, how to shoot, and an extended discussion on safety - special emphasis was placed on safety glasses. On 11 April they returned the slingshots to us for application of the bandsets and they got their first taste of shooting with some loaners we had. Their slingshots ran the gamut from painted, stained, engraved, slightly modified (my grandson), and simply sanded. On 18 April they received their finished slingshots. After another safety briefing the shooting commenced. Ammo: the hard hitting black-eyed pea. Distance: three meters. Targets: empty soup cans and a satellite dish. Those Scouts had a ball. They had paid close attention to our demonstrations and they were excellent shots. With the modified design and the light bands no one got tired. They stopped because they ran out of daylight.
It was a delight to introduce those young men to the sport of slingshots.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let me brag on my dad here.

Asking a maker for a slingshot is one thing, asking them to make a dozen or more slingshots, is another. I approached my dad because he has made both my son and I slingshots that we will keep as family heirlooms. One of the best things about his slingshots is children 6 and up can shoot his slingshots. One of my major complaints with modern slingshots today purposely exclude young guns from enjoying slingshots. And being the Cub scout leader I have scouts from the age 6 through 10. So when I asked him, I wasn't sure if he was up to the labor of making them all.

Now my dad is a very careful and meticulous maker. The first round of blanks he made, he didn't like and tossed them all out for safety reasons. So he went back and made another full set of blanks for each scout and then some, which is good because we needed them as new potential scouts were visiting our pack. Talk about a labor of love! I said I'd help pay for it and he'd hear nothing of it. After the scouts had time to customize their blanks, he hand made each band set and attached them to each blank. Making sure each slingshot was safe to use.

Now he didn't just make them, he got to teach them too. He was able to set the foundation for range safety rules; from slingshots to firearms. How to properly maintain and care for a slingshot. How to aim and shoot. It was the whole package. Also, it takes my dad an hour one way to drive to the pack meetings. He did this three times as the whole project took three weeks. That's 6 hours of driving through rush hour traffic to giveaway over a dozen slingshots to some children he never met.

He really made an impact with the scouts and their parents. Last week one of my scouts let me know he's been practicing with his slingshot everyday after school. A mother said it's helping her son with his eye excersises to strengthen his depth perception.

My dad is made from 100% awesome. The investment he made into the lives of these young scouts is priceless.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,479 Posts
The BSA are are great kids.
Last year I made some forks for a a troop, and they had a good time learning how to shoot them properly.
300 scouts, at their rendevous, shooting only 12 BB slingshots,had No failures on bands or forks.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Great work, nice to see there are still some kids doing something other than hanging out on corners and causing trouble...BRAVO to both of you and you too BB

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,443 Posts
Wonderful!!!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Cleburne?! Heck Yeah... That's were we went to wal-mart from Glen Rose. Great Job Mr. Pawzzz 4-h was the highlight of my child hood Shooting sports or Extravaganza's all the time! We didn't have cub scouts but that was the next best thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.