Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun I want to get some paintballs to shoot. I think this would even get some more shooters involved in the sport if they shot paintballs first and saw a big paint splat on a larger target. I am thinking of getting these due to size and price. I know NOTHING about paintballs. Would these withstand being shot from a slingshot?

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Caliber-Paintballs-Mixed-Colors/dp/B003HOLIZC

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Egads, I havent paintballed since around 1987, not long after one of the first entrepeneurs in our region leased a large wooded field an hour east of me. Players at the time rented and shot a bolt-action cattle-marking pistol called the "Nelspot 007", which has long since become obsoleted by semiautomatic versions with larger CO2 tanks with large hoppers. For typical play attire (t-shirt and outer cammo shirt), the impact is comparable to getting hit by a bumblebee while riding a motorcycle at 60 mph ... it'll leave a smallpainful welt, and a hickey-like bruise, but wont break the skin. Anyway, I dont want to bore people with nostalgia.

Getting back to your question: I wouldn't trust them in a slingshot, dude. Although fairly strong, those balls are designed to break on a sturdy impact. Picture bath pearls, filled with water soluable dye instead of lavender-scented glycerine. You might be able to shoot a few, if you dont squeeze or pull too hard, but if one breaks in your sling, it'll wreck the pouch. It's not worth it.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
I shoot them out of my slingshots from time to time and haven't had a problem yet. Temperature plays a big part in how easy they are to break. If it is cold outside, I have had them hit a hard target and not break, so I keep them in a pocket to keep them warm. If it is hot out they work better if kept in a shoulder bag or something like it. They are fun to shoot too. Hold the pouch in front of the ball to keep from crushing it. You get used to it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
and it must be a very strong slingshot,
and don't forget the safety mask that paintballs require, you can't get the slingshot near you in order to aim...
I think that a wrist brace is a great idea for such a slingshot.
When I think about it, the Barnett Pro Diablo II with good set of bands can be great for it...

·
Registered
390 Posts
and it must be a very strong slingshot,
and don't forget the safety mask that paintballs require, you can't get the slingshot near you in order to aim...
I think that a wrist brace is a great idea for such a slingshot.
When I think about it, the Barnett Pro Diablo II with good set of bands can be great for it...
I don't aggree with you

Don't know the weight of a paint ball, but i am sure that my low draw weight butterfly bands will do the job.

The more draw weigth, the less accurate

I have to find a paintball club where i live to make some test. I think they should have a chrony too.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'm surprised to hear they work so well. So much for my earlier speculation.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Paintballs work fine in a slingshot. They are the preferred ammo of my wife and son. I prefer Gobstopper myself. My son is starting to come around to he Gobstoppers too. They make a very satisfying crack when they hit a hard target and leave a little mound of pulverized candy to show you where they hit. Paintballs are more messy and after a few hits on the target, it is, well, "painted". So you can lose track of where your subsequent shots are hitting.

We use the cheapest paintballs I could find. I think they were about $9.95 per 500 at WalMart. Nothing wrong with them, other than the mess (which washes off with water, lawn sprinklers, or rain - so not really a big issue).

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I tried paintballs but i was only getting at best 5 shots between ones that would break from all could figure was the bands being too powerful. The balls were high quality. Recommended to me for slingshots.

My bands were double thera band gold 2 per side. 3/4 tapered to 1/2 inch. Or blue thera band 3 in tapered to 2 in.

I will try lighter bands and I'm sure the paintballs won't break that easy.

Try this. Set up the paintballs on something that won't produce a ricochet or a ricochet in a bad direction and shoot at them. I used my BB shooter to explode them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Try this. Set up the paintballs on something...
Great idea! I hadn't thought of shooting AT the paintballs. That would be tough with a slingshot, but sniping at them wth an air rifle or air pistol would be a good alternative if I can't manage to hit them with my slingshots. Thanks for the good idea. I'll be heading out well armed with slingshots and pellet guns tomorrow to give this a try!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.