Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this especially for relatively new shooters! Just a few thoughts on shooting. I have never thought that I shot paper as well as other items. The best paper target that I remember shooting was in 2004. I shot 10 shots at a NRA B-8C 25 yard pistol target at 25 meters (82 feet) with these results. All 10 shots in the black, 3 in the 9 ring, 4 in the 10 ring, and 3 in the X center. now having said that, I have shot several other targets that I consider better shots, one I call in particular and that was a 8 once milk carton in a field which I did not know the distance of until after I shot. I hit it the first shot and the fellow that I shot for, as I remember stepped off 49 steps. I also shot a empty pop can on a slight down hill plane 9 times before I missed it, from about 10 meters to about 30 meters. Now, I know paper is boring, but it is essential to do on a regular basis. Now for something that I cannot do like I once did and that is to be a very good shot you must also build your strength, so you can be very steady. Another thing is, you must learn to concentrate and look your shot into the target. The last thing that I want to say here is anything that you want to be good at, you must have a passion for. Don't pay very much attention to trick or super shots, but just work on yourself and what you want to accomplish! -- Tex

·
Registered
155 Posts
'you must also build your strength, so you can be very steady'.

I remember when I started with heavier bands, and my arm would just start shaking.

So I dropped down to lighter bands for a while.

Then when I went back up to heavier bands, I noticed I had naturally built my strength and there was no more shaking.

This is a great point you made, as well as all the other points of course.

Thanks Tex.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'you must also build your strength, so you can be very steady'.

I remember when I started with heavier bands, and my arm would just start shaking.

So I dropped down to lighter bands for a while.

Then when I went back up to heavier bands, I noticed I had naturally built my strength and there was no more shaking.

This is a great point you made, as well as all the other points of course.

Thanks Tex.
Even after you think that you are not shaking, your strength still might cause problems, like poor release's and jumping the string. That is the main reason that I cannot shoot as well as I once did. (too many Birthdays)

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
Yeah, Tex.

I thought I had built up my strength a year ago...I had a horrible release compared to now. I still let fly poorly but it is my concentration more often than my pinch.

Gotta let that bird go gently and keep it all lined up.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Tex.

I thought I had built up my strength a year ago...I had a horrible release compared to now. I still let fly poorly but it is my concentration more often than my pinch.

Gotta let that bird go gently and keep it all lined up.
I would recommend that you shoot long distance to help your release, but you are right, concentration and looking the shot into the target are very important also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts