Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic is fueled by a post that was likely taken down in the last 24 hours or so. The author was likely banned as well, and it was a good ban. His attempt to discredit Simple Shot hit me hard, so you will get a glimpse of perspective, my perspective.
I was fortunate to have founded a company in the USA that relied on partnerships that were worldwide. I was able to concieve a simple formula that directly benefited the 6 families that the company employed, and hundreds more that profited well from our work.
Honestly, overnight our product, our strategy, our customers were approached by our Chinese partners and offered them MY products at Half the Price?! Not a copy. Even the assembly manual that I had written was in their box?!
Yeah. So my life spun out, just like in the movies. eBay was just getting hot, then my stuff was all over Amazon. I literally let myself become enraged with torture trying to beat down the online trolls and folks who called me a fraud and a liar. It was like my identity had been stolen hundreds of times. I know the bottom of the well and the deep end of the pool, it is not a place I would wish on an enemy.
So now what? I say Buy American or from the country you live in OR from the country you love the most! This is where your money will go, period. If you have kids it is a simpler answer. My tax dollars go to my city and school districts and police and fire departments, not to a district in China that doesn't know me.
If Simple Shot, Pocket Predator, A+ and y'all need to source a percentage of your worth from a potential competitor then that is really what it takes to assemble quality ingredients in many cases. Perhaps I am also imploring that we remember the actual battle it takes to scratch out a living on your own terms. Does anyone else remember the world before WalMart?

p.s. Bob Marley would have been 74 today.
87fb9b9c1a311625032ecb5a3eabbb80.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Good old Bob :)

Yeah - the post was deleted after a chat with Nathan at Simple Shot. From what I saw and was later substantiated by Nathan (with an interesting side story), its evident the guy is just trying to boost his Youtube channel with a back-stab. Sad thing really - think his rant actually makes him look worse for the trouble both here and on his channel. Also from what I can tell he only got exceptional service from Simple Shot.

Tough being taken by a knock-off like that Mo. Experienced similar - sucks. Keep it local.

·
Mojave Mo
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa?! That makes it even MORE of a stinker! I actually hate YouTube, and Google too. As a Father they have both replaced me. Heck. If YouTube and Google where around when I was in 7th Grade I would have left home, left school, become an online Plastic Surgeon and then started a Reality TV YouTube Show called 'How Ugly Are You?'.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Nathan is one of the great inovators in our sport. He is ethical, fair, has great poducts and has given so much back to the community. I have found him to be truly about his word.

I couldn't agree more about buying American (or within the country you live). We have become so obsessed with owning more and more stuff that we are willing to undercut our own countrie's need for jobs in manufacturing, sales, distribution and taxes etc.

Years ago I had an uncle who had spent his career as the vice president of a national furnace/oil burner company. He invented an "oil burner" that burned rice chaff. He invented it and built a company to produce and market it (back in the early days when China first re-opened to western business). Within 5 years they ignored all patents, promises and contracts and took it all away.

Those are the ethics and morals that good people are in competition with.

If I send something to England or Uganda or wherever, I ask the postman how much and buy the stamps. The United States keeps all the money and the country that recieves the package gets nothing. It's some sort of thing that has long been in place with all countries. I can get something from China and they get a dollar or whatever and then my country handles it for free. So not only do they break patents, steal secrets, etc, but the the countries they send to cannot compete with the nominal shipping that China charges.

I'm on the edge of a rant. I'll stop.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
China, and the way her communist government runs that economy, namely through massive subsidies and currency manipulation, is clearly undermining western economies, where certain ethical standards still apply, as opposed to the rampant corruption and what appears to be a total absence of manufacturing standards in terms of quality, safety, and environmental issues.

Unfortunately, too many western corporations, in their shortsighted quest to maximize profits, transferred manufacturing of their products to China several decades ago, sold finished products at premium prices at home, while simultaneously giving the Chinese valuable know-how to make the same products at rock bottom prices, which no western business could (can) match. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of jobs were lost in North America and Europe as deindustrialisation took hold: think "rust belt" in the Mid-West.

America in particular has become extremely dependent on foreign imports to meet the demand for consumer goods of various kinds, a demand largely now met by Chinese exports and their artificially low prices. In many respects, China now has the upper hand. Bringing back manufacturing jobs to the US or Europe is only possible at wage levels similar to those of China: who is willing to accept that fact? Compare the statistics:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=China&country2=United+States

The American middle class has apparently been faced with stagnating incomes and falling purchasing power in the last 30 years, and thus cannot be blamed if the former seeks to buy products at the lowest possible price: jobs in the expanding service sector do not yield the same added value as manufacturing, and the prevailing trend of favoring boardroom managers and shareholders while squeezing employees like lemons has also taken its toll. The former social market economy with a healthy middle class has long gone. To expect consumers to buy either all "American" or "European" might be very patriotic and desirable, but it does not take the above factors into consideration.

The same principle applies to slingshots: consumers will buy whatever gives them the best value for money, regardless of whether that product was "made in the USA" or "made in Europe". Whether one likes it or not, the Chinese slingshots from reputable sellers (many are dodgy, yes) are quite well made and excellent value for money. However, what we do not see is under what working conditions such products were manufactured, and what wages the employees received for their work: an average monthly salary in China is somewhere in the USD 900 range, probably somewhat lower for a factory worker.

With regard to "free shipping", this is apparently linked to China being officially listed as a *developing country", with the Chinese postal service subsidized by western postal services: I do not fully understand how this works in practice. Clearly, this is a huge disadvantage to western businesses sending their products abroad. Thus, businesses such as Nathan's are faced with significant challenges in terms of production costs and unfair (unregulated) business practices linked to a questionable Chinese government related political agenda. The lack of enforced regulations implies bootleg copies of all kinds of products originating in China, regardless of whether these are patented or not.

Our collective dependence on "made in China" makes a widespread boycott of China extremely difficult, as we no longer have the manufacturing bases (both US and Europe) to provide alternative similar goods (albeit at far higher prices, which many cannot afford)

Any thoughts about this situation?

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
I've been wanting to see these posts ever since Jolly was pushing those things last year. To the point of buying them and sending them to other forum members. I spent 20 years testing plastic. We also aged it in different conditions then retested it. A rock hard piece of plastic may not be so hard after the lubricants cook out of it.
I know there are many struggling to get by but how much harder would it be to work with one eye?
You guys said it well! Thanks for your posts

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
I stood in line behind Nathan at a Lowe's once. I recognized him from his youtube stuff but I didn't say anything. I was just visiting and had run out of line chalk, looked like he was getting some files- some pretty nice ones. He was a tad shorter than I imagined and had a couple unruly hairs on the back of his neck. He smelled okay.

I've had several satisfying business transactions with the man- and I do so enjoy my Scouts.

"Enter, stranger, but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn.
So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there." -Rowling

·
Mojave Mo
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Total perspective is the key to quality conversation. I don't own a Rolex, but I can buy a RoTex for $80 downtown. I was thinking about trying out the RoTex to see if I like it. If so, I'll likely go buy the Rolex, maybe two.
Our houses are mortgaged, the cars, the health insurance, the kids education and our vacations too.
I am going to save my money and always seek the 'real deal' and the service that comes with it.
Americans are culturally conflicted about where we get our 'stuff'......because we really need the stuff. I was on a business trip to Canada and stayed in a private business condominium. I was fascinated to see that they entire condo was fitted with what I saw as bad Chinese copies of everything down to the nails in the carpet. The owner of the business said, "I have no issues with China, my wife is Chinese."
I am still young enough to understand that his main objective was NOT to build the Chinese economy, but to keep his wife in balance!

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
China, and the way her communist government runs that economy, namely through massive subsidies and currency manipulation, is clearly undermining western economies, where certain ethical standards still apply, as opposed to the rampant corruption and what appears to be a total absence of manufacturing standards in terms of quality, safety, and environmental issues.

Unfortunately, too many western corporations, in their shortsighted quest to maximize profits, transferred manufacturing of their products to China several decades ago, sold finished products at premium prices at home, while simultaneously giving the Chinese valuable know-how to make the same products at rock bottom prices, which no western business could (can) match. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of jobs were lost in North America and Europe as deindustrialisation took hold: think "rust belt" in the Mid-West.

America in particular has become extremely dependent on foreign imports to meet the demand for consumer goods of various kinds, a demand largely now met by Chinese exports and their artificially low prices. In many respects, China now has the upper hand. Bringing back manufacturing jobs to the US or Europe is only possible at wage levels similar to those of China: who is willing to accept that fact? Compare the statistics:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=China&country2=United+States

The American middle class has apparently been faced with stagnating incomes and falling purchasing power in the last 30 years, and thus cannot be blamed if the former seeks to buy products at the lowest possible price: jobs in the expanding service sector do not yield the same added value as manufacturing, and the prevailing trend of favoring boardroom managers and shareholders while squeezing employees like lemons has also taken its toll. The former social market economy with a healthy middle class has long gone. To expect consumers to buy either all "American" or "European" might be very patriotic and desirable, but it does not take the above factors into consideration.

The same principle applies to slingshots: consumers will buy whatever gives them the best value for money, regardless of whether that product was "made in the USA" or "made in Europe". Whether one likes it or not, the Chinese slingshots from reputable sellers (many are dodgy, yes) are quite well made and excellent value for money. However, what we do not see is under what working conditions such products were manufactured, and what wages the employees received for their work: an average monthly salary in China is somewhere in the USD 900 range, probably somewhat lower for a factory worker.

With regard to "free shipping", this is apparently linked to China being officially listed as a *developing country", with the Chinese postal service subsidized by western postal services: I do not fully understand how this works in practice. Clearly, this is a huge disadvantage to western businesses sending their products abroad. Thus, businesses such as Nathan's are faced with significant challenges in terms of production costs and unfair (unregulated) business practices linked to a questionable Chinese government related political agenda. The lack of enforced regulations implies bootleg copies of all kinds of products originating in China, regardless of whether these are patented or not.

Our collective dependence on "made in China" makes a widespread boycott of China extremely difficult, as we no longer have the manufacturing bases (both US and Europe) to provide alternative similar goods (albeit at far higher prices, which many cannot afford)

Any thoughts about this situation?
I just heard on NPR and read at another news outlet that the World Bank (which is the organization that gives low interest loans to developing countries) is likely to remove China from the Devloping Countries list.

Mostly due to theor growing economy and development.

That said no one has taken any legal action against China (and I mean the governemnt of China as there are many, many fine Chinese men and women and slingers... and a very awesome cultural history of innovation and scientific discovery! For crying out loud they invented noodles, silk, gun powder and built the Great Wall!) for intellectual property theft, how workers are treated, etc...

That said... coming to a forum is lile coming to any place... be cool and recieve community benefits. Be rude and get the boot.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
i just recently purchased fom simple shot and due to my fat fingers sent them the wrong address,so package was sent back as undeliverable,i contacted them and talked with Aaron who got everything back on track and re delivered within 2 days,i have always had nothing but exemplory service from them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts