Slingshots Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you hold the bands at full draw?
How long do you normally hold the bands at full draw?
Instaneous3711.08%
Under 3 seconds20059.88%
More than 3 seconds but under 57522.46%
More than 5seconds but under 10195.69%
More than 10 seconds30.90%

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wonder how most people shoot.

I hold for about 3 seconds as I aim.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I hold between 1 and 2 seconds before letting the shot fly. I've tried some snap shooting (where the shot is drawn and released in one fluid motion with no discernable pause) with fair results, but not as good as when I hold for a second or so. If I try holding any longer than a couple seconds, I actaully shoot much worse. I think it gives me time to second guess myself, causing me to miss the shot.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Never really thought much about it- as I shot instinctive archery for -probly 50 yr or somthing like that, and slingshot more than that, I just shoot when it looks good, probly no more'n a second or 2, seems if i hold to change grip or get distracted to slow down and re-aim, really messes me up.

I wonder how most people shoot.

I hold for about 3 seconds as I aim.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I inhale while drawing and exhale about 1/2 before releasing. -- Tex

Reactions: Lee Silva

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is fascinating, especially for someone like me who's never been to a shooting meet-up with serious shooters . I plan to use it in the experimental protocol for bench testing, but also it's as important to hear the experienced and successful shooters tell me what works so that I can improve my own abilities.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I shoot slingshot the same as rifle.........inhale on the draw, then exhale 1/3 at full draw and concentrate on the target.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Instantaneous for me. I find that I get both more power and more accuracy that way. I focus on drawing past my release point and releasing the shot while still drawing. If I focus on drawing to the release point I find that I introduce a short pause when I reach that point .

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
When you're an "aimer" like I've become over the years,holding on the shot is mandatory. I recently changed from 3/8" ammo and bumped it up to 1/2" and to be honest, it wreaked havoc with my shooting. I could not for the life of me hold on target for even a second. It was draw and release. I would tell myself to hold but then -the shot was gone in an instant. Another shooter had the same thing happen to him too. (very weird). I am starting to gain control of the problem and am now holding for around 2-3 seconds. This is better but I would rather more 5-6 then I can back off when a certain comfort level is reached. Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flatband, how about drawing to 80%, aiming and then drawing to 100% and firing? That way you'd have very little weakening of the band wile you were aiming.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i pull straight to my jaw and aim then release.
but i make the bands a little longer than i need to just i case i see a rabbit.!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I aim but very breifly a second or so I breath in while pulling the bands back then hold my breath while taking aim and after release breath out.I used to hunt with air rifles from the age of 14 and would breath in while raising the gun and hold my breath when aiming,this way there is no movment of the chest muscles as their would be if you were breathing in or out only minimal movement from your stabilizer muscles hardly noticible.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Hi ZDP,
I will give that method a try. It makes sense too. I also tried to line up next to the bullseye and then go over to it. I also practiced holding using one of my wifes LENNOX VASES!
I know the fear factor alone forbade me to release too soon!!!!!!! God, if I ever hit that! There is something Tex talked about years ago on a post mentioning that our minds are conditioned on a shoot-release timer or something to the effect of bullseye fever( difficulty in staying on the target with out firing for too long. Oh well, I'm working on it and all opinions and techniques are welcome! Flatband

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
The more I pay attention to how I shoot, the worse I shoot. But I figure I aim for around 3-5 seconds.
(and then miss most of the time)

·
Registered
316 Posts
As with any shooting sport there is a point when you want to slow your heart rate and thus movement down for steadier shooting. The best time to do this is on an exhale. I have always shot this way when sight shooting.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.