Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Sling-Folks,
I just purchased/received this pistol via web mail order and am very satisfied, looks even nicer in person. It's new (I assume discontinued),& I consider it to be an extremely nice fit and finish.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=P13600
Usually the manufacturer websites dont have the cheapest prices, as they dont want to undercut the stores they supply, but this was cheapest I've found,and has some qualities I was looking for such as; takedown pin, .50cal, no shiny brass hardware, single trigger, etc..
The discount from new is probably comparable to other typs of deals I've seen in 'sportsman's guide' catalog from time to time. It's not an impossible to pass up deal, but was ok for me since I already had needed accessories from other guns.
Just thought I'd share info on what seemed to be a good deal found on the web.

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice find, BB.
Man, I miss black powder shooting! Just can't afford it for the time being, so I'm saving up the powder and lead I currently have.
Looks like this one has an aluminum or synthetic ramrod, not so much a big deal on a pistol, but you learn to appreciate them at rifle length after snapping a few wood ones and nearly skewering your arm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Sling-Folks,
I just purchased/received this pistol via web mail order and am very satisfied, looks even nicer in person. It's new (I assume discontinued),& I consider it to be an extremely nice fit and finish.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=P13600
Usually the manufacturer websites dont have the cheapest prices, as they dont want to undercut the stores they supply, but this was cheapest I've found,and has some qualities I was looking for such as; takedown pin, .50cal, no shiny brass hardware, single trigger, etc..
The discount from new is probably comparable to other typs of deals I've seen in 'sportsman's guide' catalog from time to time. It's not an impossible to pass up deal, but was ok for me since I already had needed accessories from other guns.
Just thought I'd share info on what seemed to be a good deal found on the web.
Looks like a nice shooter. I love black powder shooting, I own several BP revolvers and several singleshot pistols as well as a few BP rifles. Nothing high end just good workingmans type guns.

Don

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah Don, I wasn't really looking for one to buy, but this percussion pistol seemed neat and affordable (some people pay 150$ for sunglasses), also, it's basic style and hardware kind of matches the buckskinner flintlock short carbine that I bought about 7 yrs ago, I might put them above fireplace together.

When I got this percussion pistol, they also sent a newest 2010 catalog and it shows a vortek 13" breakbarrel pistol, inline 209 primer, I guess the vortek pistol is not out yet, nor on their website yet, But might be nice to have for a longer range more modern style pistol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Percussion handguns are FUN!! Nothing like the big cloud of sulfurous smoke!

I just picked up a Colt 1851 Navy reproduction!!

Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just picked up a Colt 1851 Navy reproduction!!

Tom
Yeah Tom, I've never firsthand really seen Percussion revolvers in use, I'm sure the quicker repeat shot makes it fun.
The percussion single shot I bought/ wrote about/ is no longer on their website, I'm glad I got it, it was $150 + 15 S/H. Didn't shoot it yet, but seems worth that much no matter what.
I've still been watching their special offer page out of curiosity, but nothing popped out at me again, their website now doesn't seem to have prices listed without having to click on each item seperately on the page,, which I haven't the patience for.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Percussion guns are fun, but flintlocks are even cooler.
Can't afford to shoot her at the moment, but this gun is an absolute blast to take out to the desert and touch off! Reproduction 1730-1750 era Brit Dragoon pistol, .66 caliber smoothbore.

BTW, good to see you all again. It's been awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pelleter, BEAUTIFUL flintlock! I would love to play with one of those!!

I got a chance to shoot some black powder Sunday. I shot my new .32 caliber percussion rifle and my two .50 cal Hawkins. FUN!!

I also got a chance to shoot my 1851 Navy reproduction and my 1862 Pocket Navy.... talk about FUN!!

Of course it took me about 3 hours to get them all cleaned and oiled properly!! Nothing smells quite like black powder!!

Tom

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I still have this project ahead of me... a side by side two shot flintlock pistol. Already have the locks and the barrel (.36).

There are no flintlock replicas I am aware of that have two shots.

Jörg

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks, Tom.

Joerg, the only double flintlock pistol I'm currently aware of is this one. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

BTW, Tom, I assume you're the same Krein who's done lots of blade regrinds/reprofiles for people at bladeforums.com? Great looking stuff, if so.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i love flintlocks just there quality is unreal

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Found their website, but the Howdah is only listed for percussion. This means a full gun license is required to onw it in Germany.

I could get that license, but of course what I would really love is to make my own from scratch. And that is only legal with flintlocks - percussion models are for licensed gunsmiths only.

Jörg

·
Banned
913 Posts
I think the Howdah's era was past flintlock's. It was a backup weapon used in Africa designed to stop a lion attack. This was replaced by the largest caliber revolver ever made: the .58 Webley revolver. These were made in the 1880s. In a similar motif during the 1990s the custom .475 and .50 Linebagh revolvers built on the Ruger Bisley/Blackhawk and Redhawk frames by Bowen Mfg. and John Linebaugh. Ruger and Smith and Wesson were quick to see their success and produce their own commercial versions in .480 Ruger and .500 S&W casting these former calibers into obscurity. Ross Seyfried shot a cape buffalo with the .475, I remember reading the article in Guns & Ammo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts