Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Nobody chimed in yet. They will, very helpful group of guys.

Here is my take on the subject. It doesn't matter if you are shooting TTF, OTF, widemouth sling, shortforked button top. The question to ask is "can I generate enough energy at hunting distance to kill humanely and secondly can I learn to shoot well enough that I'm not crippling the game. It is all about bands, ammo weight, and length of draw. And the answer is yes. Yes you can. With practice and knowledge of your equipment you are good to go. Check local laws also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nobody chimed in yet. They will, very helpful group of guys.
Here is my take on the subject. It doesn't matter if you are shooting TTF, OTF, widemouth sling, shortforked button top. The question to ask is "can I generate enough energy at hunting distance to kill humanely and secondly can I learn to shoot well enough that I'm not crippling the game. It is all about bands, ammo weight, and length of draw. And the answer is yes. Yes you can. With practice and knowledge of your equipment you are good to go. Check local laws also.
I'm an avid hunter with my slings. Haven't been around the forums in awhile. The PFS shooter intrigue me though & seem a helluva challenge. I think I'll go ahead and grab me one and start playing around with setups in the basement (long cold winters in eastern Michigan).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I don’t hunt but I can shoot a pfs fairly well not J5 level but it’s like anything u put the time in it will come together.A pfs punch holes in things as well as a large frame do just need to get your band to ammo figured out or it slap ya like a made beaver .What is cool about a pfs is the size and to make one u don’t need a lot of material or a lot of tool pretty simple to build .u can strap tubes to them and I like that flats always get tangled up after a shot so it slows u down setting up your next shot but tubes hold form so it’s fast for next shot .guess u could put single tubes on any frame but just feels right on pickle forks .I say just make one and give it a go u have nothing to loss a lot people make it sound like it’s hard to shoot and it’s not u only hit your self couple times and u will learn and if u don’t like it owell back to a full frame not sure this help ya but hope it does .lots templates around the opfs is good the picklebone ,tiny turtle .lizard ,ice man lots options build a boontoon slimpickings it’s a bigger pfs and forgiving . Port boy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't hunt but I can shoot a pfs fairly well not J5 level but it's like anything u put the time in it will come together.A pfs punch holes in things as well as a large frame do just need to get your band to ammo figured out or it slap ya like a made beaver .What is cool about a pfs is the size and to make one u don't need a lot of material or a lot of tool pretty simple to build .u can strap tubes to them and I like that flats always get tangled up after a shot so it slows u down setting up your next shot but tubes hold form so it's fast for next shot .guess u could put single tubes on any frame but just feels right on pickle forks .I say just make one and give it a go u have nothing to loss a lot people make it sound like it's hard to shoot and it's not u only hit your self couple times and u will learn and if u don't like it owell back to a full frame not sure this help ya but hope it does .lots templates around the opfs is good the picklebone ,tiny turtle .lizard ,ice man lots options build a boontoon slimpickings it's a bigger pfs and forgiving . Port boy
Thanks man. I'm diving in. Gonna look for a natural in the wood today and start building one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Th and to everyone who replied. I checked outdoes St Clair County vids....good stuff.

Next question; I want to build one, but while all that's happening, who I. The forums is selling them?

Thanks,

·
Ray Rowden
2,652 Posts
Here's a link to some templates Bill Hays posted - very usable.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/9812-three-pfs-styles/

The one on top is the OPFS design.

He also sells a couple of nice aluminum blanks at great prices on his Pocket Predator web site.

The original Pickle Fork Shooter was cut from 5mm/1/4-inch ply. IMHO, everyone who shoots pfs should make one of these for themselves. It is a study in functional simplicity and minimalism. It's mostly straight lines. It can be cut out with coping saw - or a hack saw, for crying out loud. And it works.

Best of luck!

Th and to everyone who replied. I checked outdoes St Clair County vids....good stuff.

Next question; I want to build one, but while all that's happening, who I. The forums is selling them?

Thanks,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts