Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's true you are are VERY LIKELY going to get a hand hit while you're learning the TECHNIQUE that is required, but that's easily circumvented by soft shooting for a while while you learn.

The OPFS/PFS is not meant to shoot through the middle. By giving the pouch a quarter turn while pulling back and then flicking the fork forward on release, you can make the bands propel the ammo OVER the forks of the slingshot.

If you watch some of DGUI's or many of the other forum user's videos, you'll see that some amazing accuracy can be had with the PFS style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
193 Posts
PFS = Practical Fun Slingshot to Shoot. Loads of fun and a true challenge. Not even a need to twist the pouch. Do some forum research on the variables of shooting the PFS.

Go ahead and make a couple of them. Band them up with light pull bands and use Clay Balls, Beans, Peas, or BBs for ammo before you start slinging 5/16 or 3/8" Ball Bearings. After a couple thousand rounds you'll have your personal PFS technique figured out.

Nothing to Fear but Fear itself. As mentioned above, go ahead and make yourself a Stick Shooter while you're at it. If you figure out how to flip the frame forward when you release the pouch you can;t hit yourself. Almost all hand and fork hits are caused by poor pouch grip and release. Still have doubts? Wear a glove on the hand you hold the PFS with. Maybe even a pair of safety glasses just in case. No need for steel toed boots.

You don't even have to follow the rules of narrow fork width. Make a larger gap to start out with.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PFS = Practical Fun Slingshot to Shoot. Loads of fun and a true challenge. Not even a need to twist the pouch. Do some forum research on the variables of shooting the PFS.

Go ahead and make a couple of them. Band them up with light pull bands and use Clay Balls, Beans, Peas, or BBs for ammo before you start slinging 5/16 or 3/8" Ball Bearings. After a couple thousand rounds you'll have your personal PFS technique figured out.

Nothing to Fear but Fear itself. As mentioned above, go ahead and make yourself a Stick Shooter while you're at it. If you figure out how to flip the frame forward when you release the pouch you can;t hit yourself. Almost all hand and fork hits are caused by poor pouch grip and release. Still have doubts? Wear a glove on the hand you hold the PFS with. Maybe even a pair of safety glasses just in case. No need for steel toed boots.

You don't even have to follow the rules of narrow fork width. Make a larger gap to start out with.
THANK YOU Renegade Shooter - That's pretty hilarious - A great way of saying; Don't waste your time :) .... Actually, I've already made a few of the more conventional styles and very happy with them so I am inclined to take a pass on the PFS.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The small PFS fork gap is really only there to facilitate band ties and having the small fork width in hand means you can hone intuitive aiming by shooting at what you point at with your shooting hand. The feeling is liberating. There is some technique involved with pouch hold and release; it is not for beginners. Yet, it's nothing too complex and is certainly something anyone can learn and get used to. A PFS is also very fast to deploy, concealable and pocketable. Plus they are probably the easiest frames to build. Something you can probably fit on a piece of scrap cut-off lying around.

I like to think that shooting PFS makes me a better shooter with regular frames... well I hope anyway! I really do enjoy shooting PFS because they are just super fun.

A happy medium would be to shoot a gapper or semi-PFS with a 1" fork gap that you can aim if you want to or shoot just like any other PFS if you prefer. BTW, check out MJ shooting his gapper TTF!

Fork hits or hand hits would be par for the course. Starting with clay or soft ammo is a good idea for a safer learning curve.

Look-up PFS shooters on Youtube shooting pennies out of the sky and see if that inspires you. If that doesn't well, count yourself lucky as preferring "vanilla" shooting only!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I really like pfs shooting Outdoors! Will not shoot them Indoors! As good as we get there still are occasional fliers.Indoors I only shoot gappers or regular slingshots. I love small frames my favorite is one flipgun made that I’ve been shooting Indoors for a few months,has a one inch gap, have never had a flier or fork hit with it. I do think pfs’s help you perfect your shooting as you have to pay attention to technical aspects of shooting all the time if you slack they will talk to you and let you know it!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
It amazes me how scared folks are to try this lol. Its alot of fun and there's a ton of designs for them. Nothing beats one for consistently hitting targets if you're an instinctive shooter. Tubes or flats, no ammo preferance, LOTS of fun for long distances.

I say every serious slinger should give it a go, even with light bands and clay balls or bbs. :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Took you long enough Chef to chime in on this one. Slingshot shooting is full of distractions and rabbit trails to go down. PFS, Frameless, etc. not to mention hundreds of grip and fork designs to distract us from shooting like CJW with his SPS frames or those champs who shoot only one slingshot and get really good with it. I notice that those who shoot pennies or marbles out of the air are always doing it with the same frame and not shooting dozens of different designs. Like the old saying beware of the man with only one gun because he probably knows how to shoot it well.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Took you long enough Chef to chime in on this one. Slingshot shooting is full of distractions and rabbit trails to go down. PFS, Frameless, etc. not to mention hundreds of grip and fork designs to distract us from shooting like CJW with his SPS frames or those champs who shoot only one slingshot and get really good with it. I notice that those who shoot pennies or marbles out of the air are always doing it with the same frame and not shooting dozens of different designs. Like the old saying beware of the man with only one gun because he probably knows how to shoot it well.
Sorry Renegade, no internet till Thursday so for now its just coffee shop wifi posts here and there lol. Im out with the winter warfare PFS; cold weather tubes from @Mr.Brooks, My mini HDPE PFS & some 5/8 glass. My son's school playground is massive so I went there for slingshot Sunday. Tons of trash about for targets, no one around and Im sure the kids love finding the marbles LOL. Cheers all happy shooting, & Remembrance Day.
29fb342e824534361164499c3abab7b6.jpg

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Mojave Mo
5,149 Posts
Nobody has mention The Gapper? Isn't The Gapper the Little League version of the Big League PFS??

I stumbled back into slinging while looking up 'pickle fork' boats. I saw Keith Deighton on YT calming telling me with a smile that with a PFS all ya gotta do is "look at it, then shoot it". That inspired me to grind my own PFS out of a chunk of carbon fiber and learn than thing. What this has done for me is reminded me that both conciously and sub-conciously you will hit what you are looking at....or trying to AVOID looking at!
Years ago I was on a full day mountain bike quest and one of the riders kept squealing on every technical section, "OH MY GOD I AM GONNA BREAK MY NECK!!!!!".
I pulled him out of the group and told him that mentally his neck was already broken and that he was getting into the heads of the other riders....like a song.
I don't use the words FH or HH in my slingworld.
"Do not acknowledge that you do not wish to occur". Author Unknown. Translation by Mojave Mo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.