Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

made another weasel out of phenolic. one of the twins i made few days ago will get a new home soon and so i wanted to replace it.
Nothing fancy...just a workhorse that can take a beating.
Realy like that material...

20190409_212055.jpg 20190409_212021.jpg 20190409_212041.jpg 20190409_212113.jpg 20190409_212130.jpg

Attachments

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very very nice work! Love micarta as well! I think it is usually more textured and has a warmer, more organic character than G10.
It's not micarta as used for knife handles and stuff like that. It's industrial phenolic used as machinery building parts and as insulating material. There are regulations that material has to proof like pfcc201 and hgw2082.
I worked with regular micarta for knife handles but this stuff is a lot tougher.
Dan Hood aka bigdh200 made a few frames out of that stuff and made videos of it. This inspired me to try that material.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Very very nice work! Love micarta as well! I think it is usually more textured and has a warmer, more organic character than G10.
It's not micarta as used for knife handles and stuff like that. It's industrial phenolic used as machinery building parts and as insulating material. There are regulations that material has to proof like pfcc201 and hgw2082.
I worked with regular micarta for knife handles but this stuff is a lot tougher.
Dan Hood aka bigdh200 made a few frames out of that stuff and made videos of it. This inspired me to try that material.
I see! Wow... that would make those frames even better and more desirable then. I like it even more now ... did it give off any of that "bakelite" ammonia smell when you were working it?

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see! Wow... that would make those frames even better and more desirable then. I like it even more now ... did it give off any of that "bakelite" ammonia smell when you were working it?
Yes it smells....not good :)

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Wow! You know how to make stuff!

That looks amazing... also you know you materials... are you by trade a machinist or something like that?

Reactions: Bootsmann

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great looking frames
Thanks Tag!
Man you even make phenolic look good. I'm not kiddn that's tough lookin!
Thank you sir!

Wow! You know how to make stuff!
That looks amazing... also you know you materials... are you by trade a machinist or something like that?
Thanks Mako!
No, i'm workin in an office but have learned a technical job after school....long time ago.
My father is an awesome craftsman and i think he passed some of his skills to me.
I was into knifemaking for a few years and some of those skills are usefull for making cattys too.

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts