Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I did one of these, so I thought my kharma was probably about due for a boost :) I picked out a likely victim, er um, new guy and got an address. You know who you are, no need to announce it to anybody else. One of these days you can do the same for somebody.

Package should get there sometime in the next week or so, depending on how the inefficiency factor at your local government run postal facility is doing at the moment.

It's a basic mystery wood fork out of the "one of these days" box, barked and sanded a bit. I didn't spend a lot of time microsanding or finishing it, just a quick swipe with some 220 grit, and a few minutes at the buffer with some tripoli, for one cause I don't have the time lately, and two, because if you feel the need to modify it for your hand and shooting style, it's no biggie, just whittle away, sand a little and rub with some (non food type) oil, or wax or whatever.

You can use flats, or dankung tubes pulled through the slots, or just ignore them and tie whatever you like on as usual.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Why not food grade? Does it break down? I've been using a walnut oil, but I'll stop if it'll make for a better product.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Why not food grade? Does it break down? I've been using a walnut oil, but I'll stop if it'll make for a better product.
Essentially there are two types of oils: 1) siccative oils, sometimes said to be drying oils; and 2) non-siccative oils. Siccative oils will harden when exposed to air; it is a chemical process, not an evaporative process, so the term "drying" is misleading although commonly used. Non-siccative oils will stay runny almost forever.

Linseed oil is perhaps the best known siccative oil. Years ago linseed oil was heat treated in a complicated process to thicken it and make it harden more quickly. It was known as boiled linseed oil; these days a chemical process is used, but the product is still sold as boiled linseed oil.

Mineral oil, baby oil, olive oil, canola oil, and standard kitchen vegetable oils are examples of non-siccative oils. If you treat a slingshot frame with these oils, the wood will absorb it but will always feel a bit oily or sticky.

Walnut oil is a semi-siccative oil. It will eventually harden, but not as quickly as boiled linseed oil.

http://www.kamapigment.com/store/index.asp?lang=1&catpage=2412

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Thank you, Charles. I learned something.
Now, if I have already used an NS oil, can I apply BLO later?

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Thank you, Charles. I learned something.
Now, if I have already used an NS oil, can I apply BLO later?
Yes, you can. But in that case, I would wipe the frame down with some acetone first to strip off any surface oil. The BLO will mix with the NS oil down in the wood, and may well induce it to polymerize or harden up. But the BLO on the surface should seal everything in any case.

Cheers ...... Charles

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,302 Posts
It's been a while since I did one of these, so I thought my kharma was probably about due for a boost :) I picked out a likely victim, er um, new guy and got an address. You know who you are, no need to announce it to anybody else. One of these days you can do the same for somebody.

Package should get there sometime in the next week or so, depending on how the inefficiency factor at your local government run postal facility is doing at the moment.

It's a basic mystery wood fork out of the "one of these days" box, barked and sanded a bit. I didn't spend a lot of time microsanding or finishing it, just a quick swipe with some 220 grit, and a few minutes at the buffer with some tripoli, for one cause I don't have the time lately, and two, because if you feel the need to modify it for your hand and shooting style, it's no biggie, just whittle away, sand a little and rub with some (non food type) oil, or wax or whatever.

You can use flats, or dankung tubes pulled through the slots, or just ignore them and tie whatever you like on as usual.

Enjoy!
Good for you, James

I am a strong believer of the PIF Concept....

Nice slingshot too

LGD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts