Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello
Today, being in the field, I noticed this pigeon again, which was feeding itself on my crops for a long time, normally I would have left him alone, but he just liked my crops, I had some 9.5 mm steel balls in my pocket, because I like to shoot in the water surface. I approached a distance of about 7 meters, and he was hit on the wing, there was clearly a hitting on the hard wing, the pigeon flew into the air, as if he did not feel the shot, I already thought that he would fly away and I will not see him again, but after flying about 30 meters he fell from Heaven into the nearby grass, if he flew another 5 meters, I would probably not find him. It lay dead, only a light trickle of blood from its beak, and it was not so badly damaged,
summarizing,
I think that 9.5 mm steel is not enough for pigeons, maybe with a headshot it is enough, only the pigeon's head is so tiny. This is definitely not enough for the body, I think 10-11 mm lead would be just right for pigeon
cheers

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
All depends on your projectile speed:) I shoot 3/8” steel, but I shoot a 62” draw length butterfly. And all I take is body shots and I always get complete pass throughs. And not just pigeons, I get complete pass on much bigger birds as well. So 3/8 is more than sufficient if it’s going fast enough:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Lead is always my preferred ammo choice but steel can get it done if it's moving fast enough. If you don't have a chronograph, and good way to check your setup to see if it's hunting worthy is too shoot a steel can at your desired hunting distance. If the projectile penetrates the steel, you should be good to go

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.