Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back, Jaybird gave me a small piece of pigskin. I made a few pouches for my self and a few for him. They felt too soft and thin to me but Jay said it was strong stuff. I rigged him up a set of his bands ( very strong draw) with a Pigskin pouch figuring if they held for his band cut ,then they would hold for anything! Well, he had that pouch for like 3 sets of bands! The thing wouldn't wear out! I had forgot about the pigskin until recently and made a few small pouches for myself. This is excellent leather! Very soft ,thin and strong. It's a suede like texture and a little less then a 1/16" thick. Very nice stuff and I will be looking for more of it. I also recently spoke to Blue Skeen and he came across a great piece of Deerskin that he went crazy over. Said it was the best leather he ever used and that included Kangaroo! I guess you can find good and bad hides with any leather but it was nice to try something different that worked well! Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I have a swatch of wild deerskin to test. My leather shop swears that this is the strongest leather available. I see two problems so far. It doesn't seem to fare especially well in danny's tear test compared to the leather I'm currently using. The second problem is it's not particularly thin, at about 1.5mm (1/16") thick. I've got a leather skiver/ splitter, but I'm not particularly good with it and a bad split would undo all the benefits of a stronger hide.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dan, someone did try fish skin and someone else tried a piece of Stingray leather. I think both went back to cowhide. I've heard a few people speak well of Deerskin though. Flatband

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.