Slingshots Forum banner

Pine Board Impact Test

393 Views 0 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  A+ Slingshots
Hello everyone again!

Ok, so a question on another forum about penetration of ammo on a 3/4" Pine board got me curious enough to go out and do a test for myself. I thought it would be good to share it here on my blog.
I didn't go get or make anything special... I went and got an old dry pine board that's been in my shop for years, my .44 cal. lead ball ammo and slingshots. I stepped off 7 yards and shot several times not for accuracy, but only trying to keep the different band set groups away from each other.

Here were the contenders:
I shot my "Ultra Power" band assembly which is double tapered theraband gold which pulls approx. 30-35lbs depending on your draw and was chronographed by Joerg Sprave at 225fps and is at the top of the power game for non wrist-braced slingshots.

My "Gold Winner" single tapered theraband gold. It pulls approx. 14lbs. at 28" and has a nice balance of speed and power.

My New "Back Butterfly" long stretch bands. They pull approx. 14lbs. but at a 58" draw length. Fast and powerful!!!

And finally my New "Gold Butterfly" long stretch bands. They pull approx. 18lbs. at 58". Amazingly fast and powerful!!!!

The results:
Take a look at the pics but I was a little surprised. The most "Powerful" in terms of impact penetration was my "Gold Butterfly" bands. They sink a .44 cal. lead ball in 1/2 way or more.

Working our way up....next came the fairly good tie between the "Black Butterfly" bands and my "Ultra Power" bands. That was the most interesting because one pulls 14lbs. and the other pulls 30-35lbs. Of course one pulls and shoots in a standard way and the other in the extended butterfly style stance.

The least depth came from my "Gold Winner" bands but they shoot fast and flat as a good a target band should.

I would stay that ballistic gelatin would be a more consistent choice for this kind of test because of variation in pine density from tree to tree, species, humidity level, age etc; but I'm too busy for for all that. I really like simple anyway. Finally, I would conclude by saying, a pine board is not a bad tool for impact power/depth testing if one is careful and takes proper safety precautions. This was nothing fancy, just a basic "I wonder" test anyone could do, still I found the results interesting... hope you did too.
I'd love to hear what you think. Have a good one friends!!!

Handwriting Product Wood Font Stethoscope

Photograph Handwriting White Wood Font

Wood Natural material Tableware Font Plant

Wood Plant Grass Font Tree

Handwriting Door Font Wood Art

Tints and shades Magenta Font Pattern Peach

Paul

Aug 05 2010 12:06 AM

Thanks for the nice pix. I must switch from those marbles to steel or lead.

Sunglasses Eyewear Goggles Font Art

smitty

Aug 05 2010 01:22 AM

Way cool test and simple like I like them. I wonder how the wood kept from breaking.... it wasn't plywood, right? Not being plywood, getting hit that hard looks like it would have broke.
Isn't the pull strength of the gold and black you made around twice as heavy as what Torsten and the guys have been shooting?

Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Logo

A+ Slingshots

Aug 05 2010 08:50 AM

Way cool test and simple like I like them. I wonder how the wood kept from breaking.... it wasn't plywood, right? Not being plywood, getting hit that hard looks like it would have broke.
Isn't the pull strength of the gold and black you made around twice as heavy as what Torsten and the guys have been shooting?
Hey Smitty....Thanks! It was actually fun and I think has some real value too. I'm not sure why it didn't break. Maybe because I leaned it against the side cross bar of a ladder and it gave with each shot. ???? It is not plywood, just good old leftover 3/4" pine I used about 5 years ago to make some book shelves around my fireplace so I know it's good and dry (but I do use an evaporative cooler in my shop so it's not too dry). As far as strength.... I don't guess I know what formula Torsten is using. The Black is like what Geko and his friends have been using and the formula for the Gold I'm not sure. They also shared a "Trainer" measurement somewhere, but I felt it was too weak. The Black is not problem... feels great and I believe I could shoot it all day. I know that the Gold is about my limit as far as "Butterfly Style". The Gold is a great workout though... the morning after my pecs and shoulders are usually talkin' to me.
Font Circle Symmetry Pattern Electric blue

Carnivore Fawn Dog breed Grass Terrestrial animal

ZDP-189

Aug 08 2010 01:28 PM

You should have another go with 11% gelatin. I know it's a bit alarming shooting into ballistic gelatin, as if it's an analogue for human flesh or something, but it's just a medium to show how a ball hits and would be easier to measure than dent depth. It should also be fairly reproducible and comparable, unlike pine which can differ even between consecutive shots on the same board due to differing woodgrain, angle and possible local patches of differing dampness.

Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Eyebrow

Sam

Sep 03 2010 01:57 PM

You should have another go with 11% gelatin. I know it's a bit alarming shooting into ballistic gelatin, as if it's an analogue for human flesh or something, but it's just a medium to show how a ball hits and would be easier to measure than dent depth. It should also be fairly reproducible and comparable, unlike pine which can differ even between consecutive shots on the same board due to differing woodgrain, angle and possible local patches of differing dampness.
I agree, but we have Joerg for that!
Font Circle Symmetry Pattern Electric blue
See less See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.