Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of plastic Antelope style slingshots from AliExpress but the difference in quality is pretty dramatic.

The first one that arrived was wrapped in foam tape. When I removed the tape the slingshot underneath appeared as if someone took a real Antelope and did a plastic casting of it at home after watching a YouTube video. The plastic felt like nylon or polypropylene. It was a bit soft and the gap in the band loops were big enough that I really had to pay attention that the bands were still looped. I decided it would be okay as long as I stuck to light bands and ammo. I was disappointed but went ahead and wrapped the slingshot with gutted paracord and hockey tape and still had a pretty fun shooting session with it.

Today the second one arrived with a foam dipped handle. The plastic is of significantly better quality. It is hard and feels more like POM/delrin or polycarbonate. The gap in the band loops were small enough that I really had to stretch 1632 to seat the bands. This one feels much better in the hand and plastic is a lot more sturdy. I think looped 2040 will be fine here. I haven't shot it yet due to rainy weather but I think I will really enjoy it.

I think I may cut off that strange looking tab at the bottom of the handle or maybe even cut off all the foam. It was $8 so I may buy another just in case it's not pretty under the foam.

Attachments

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
981 Posts
I bought a couple items off Aliexpress, same item same seller, and the quality of the two was very different. At that price I guess I can't complain too much though.

Reactions: Tag and hoggy

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got pretty lucky with the foam handle slingshot. It took only 2 weeks and I was very pleased with the product. The wrapped slingshot took 5 weeks and wasn't that great.

Both are very similar to the POM X6 but I don't think I could break an X6 with my bare hands by bending it. I could easily break the wrapped Antelope - it is crap. The foam handle antelope is a lot tougher but I think I may be able to break the forks or band loops if I really tried, maybe. The foam handle is more grippy and comfortable than the bare handled X6. The X6 has beefier band loops. The antelope's slimmer band loops gives a different sight picture - a cleaner sight picture since there isn't as much plastic to see past. Both have band grooves but the antelope also has aiming slits. I'll take some side by side pics of the antelope and X6 when I get a chance.

Also I ended up cutting off that beaver tail handle tab on the foam handle antelope.

·
Super Moderator
6,082 Posts
I tried buying a plastic Pixu at some stage - looks more like your less nice one here. Think they advertised it as PVC. Unfortunately it never arrived. I was hoping to use it as a cheap BB shooter. I later got an X6 POM which is an awesome frame for the money.

I find I don't really use the aiming points on my Steel Antelopes and since I've been lucky to get 2 of them under $5 (proper 304 stainless) can't justify buying a plastic one for the same sort of money. Though the steel ones are pretty heavy if you're planning on pocketing them.

I didn't like the X6 POM in the beginning due to its thick posts (especially with BB handsets). But since using it more its become one if not my main go-to. For instinctive shooting its awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.