Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Being a noobie at this and having quite a few tools I had to try making a frame or two and have slowed down after the 8th and a shortage of usable ply to play with. I did have a small piece of Baltic ply left over from some drawer sides that worked well but the real surprise was a couple of pieces of oak laminated plywood flooring. 3/8" , 5 ply works great doubled up and augmented with some walnut highlights and would work great with another thin laminate but I have run out. There's a discount flooring store here that sells flooring closeouts that may prove to be a good source of frame material.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Be sure to take a look at the side cut of the plywood. And use your a knife or your fingernail to check how soft the wood is and how many layers of wood there is. I got some high quality expensive cabinet plywood and scraps from a local cabinet shop. The plies were very soft but it looked strong. Here's what happened with a normal hunting band setup after only about 15 pulls. Very scary it nearly hit me in the face. Look for hard plies not the really soft ones. I have found OSB to be the strongest plywood to use. It is very dense and I have never had a failure with it

Cheers

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,483 Posts
Being a noobie at this and having quite a few tools I had to try making a frame or two and have slowed down after the 8th and a shortage of usable ply to play with. I did have a small piece of Baltic ply left over from some drawer sides that worked well but the real surprise was a couple of pieces of oak laminated plywood flooring. 3/8" , 5 ply works great doubled up and augmented with some walnut highlights and would work great with another thin laminate but I have run out. There's a discount flooring store here that sells flooring closeouts that may prove to be a good source of frame material.
If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, check out their flooring section for "samples" of bamboo flooring.....they are free, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, check out their flooring section for "samples" of bamboo flooring.....they are free, lol

Brilliant minds think alike,,,,was there yesterday but struck out. Trying my hand at doing a laminate with epoxy and a cutting board and walnut,,,got nothing to lose but a mess :imslow:

·
Ray Rowden
3,070 Posts
So, that's a big sheet of ply for slingshots. Is it available in a smaller cut?

And, one side won't take a stain, if that's in your plan. Certainly fine for painting.

And, it's not made to a spec, so it could be just about anything - from great hardwood to pitiful softwood.

Look it over closely. I'd want to see at least 5 plies, and few voids on the edges.

But heck, Baltic Birch is a proven performer, and pretty affordable the last time I looked.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Recommend a core for them though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.