Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I decided to do a little pocket-sized design of my own, with a leftover piece of laminate, that was used to make my last shooter. Brazilian Walnut, sandwiched in between Birdseye Maple. It's alot of fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Titebond wood glue, but there are other wood glue brands that'll work.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Hey Bud, love the little ripples in the throat! Nice pattern too! Flatband

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been suprisingly accurate with this design. The only other pocket sized boardcut I've ever shot was Flatband's Ergo design. It has flown out of my hand 3 or 4 times, but the handle could be a little bigger next time. The distance between the forks is almost dead-on Flatband's, though it was not intentional. I drew the design on graph paper.

I have decided I'm going to make this my main shooter, as well as a Natural fork, at the Alverton Tourny. This way I'm shooting my own design, and a Natural design. I would be much more comfortable shooting a Tex or Flatband design, but I believe I can adjust enough to be in the hunt. I'll be happy with a top 5, but won't be disapponited with 10th, considering the expected turnout.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Very Distinctive design! To avoid the "getting out of hand" syndrome add a lanyard hole line with brass tube from the hobby/hardware store and flare the ends firmly and add further to the distinctiveness.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Very Distinctive design! To avoid the "getting out of hand" syndrome add a lanyard hole line with brass tube from the hobby/hardware store and flare the ends firmly and add further to the distinctiveness.
I agree, though I've decided to give it a leather bra
. Lacing it up right now. I think that will do the trick, but if it doesn't, I'll leave enough for a landyard.

P.S....It flies out of my hand after I shoot, so the landyard would only prevent it from going to the ground. Thought I needed to clear up that it wasn't flying back at me.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wrapped it with some cowhide, but it was a bit bulky, so I did it over with some deerskin. Much better feel for a pocket-shooter.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
It looks lovely, but you should have wrapped a more ordinary frame.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I wrapped it with some cowhide, but it was a bit bulky, so I did it over with some deerskin. Much better feel for a pocket-shooter.

more of a bustiere than a bra ... leather and lace is sassy none the less . I do concur with ZDP tho - that frame is quite the looker au naturale and to give it a full cover-up like that hides those good looks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jim,
Just curious it may already have crossed your mind, but ever thought about cutting some shapes on the front or back of the leather to expose some wood? I just thought of it when I recall you mentioning the beauty of osage orange wood. I don't know if there are punches out there that are similar to them cookie cutters. BTW the leather and laces look great!

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess that is a downfall to covering a frame, but you can always come to slingshotforum.com to see the original
. I have thought about cutting out patterns in the leather, but once you do that, the leather is going to stretch. You would have to re-inforce it with some lacing I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts