Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ray Rowden
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I banded this one up a couple of days ago and have hardly set it down.
Wood Electric blue Pattern Creative arts Fashion accessory

I didn't use a template. I just used lid to trace a circle for the outside of the forks, then penciled in the rest freehand. I guess there are some echoes of @Tex-shooter and his Classic in the thickness of the fork near the handle, although the fork tops are much lower.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Ray Rowden
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Greg!

I use 3/8 steel and 5/8 marbles with them, mostly. I shoot them as is (4X elongation) for plinking, and cut them down to 12 inches (5X) for squirrels and bunnies. with 1/2-inch steel, or .44 lead. It'll be a sad day when I'm out of the .040 latex. There are plenty of good replacements available now, but I've had a good run with that stuff!

Nice one Ray! It does look a little like a Tex Shooter Classic. What ammo do you use with those bands?

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I was just looking a little closer, and it looks like you might've glued/fastened two halves together? If so, was this done to get the grain running a little more in line with the stress placed on the fork? I've never seen that.

·
Ray Rowden
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are exactly right. Forum member @wombat did some pioneering work on the technique. He explained that on his old website for Kookaburra Katties (I think) some time ago. This build was also inspired by @slingnerd, and the pallet wood Mule he built this way.

Several years ago I raided my woodpile for a piece of osage orange and build a slingshot that way. I did a build along thread: https://slingshotforum.com/topic/98794-split-stick-semi-natural/ . Would have been a little easier, and nicer, if I had started with a straight stick.

I was just looking a little closer, and it looks like you might've glued/fastened two halves together? If so, was this done to get the grain running a little more in line with the stress placed on the fork? I've never seen that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.