Slingshots Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
gonna give the ttf another try. ordered one the other day.
The TTF Mini-T is still the most accurate slingshot I have tried. I definitely shoot the TTF version better (more consistently) than the OTT but not sure why. I have been shooting OTT since 2007. The band recoil/rebound on the TTF version is very smooth and it seems to be more forgiving, in comparison. The pinch-grip is very comfortable and gives good frame control. Using a wide paracord bracelet style lanyard allows me to relax my grip and feel confident that no injuries will happen if a band breaks.

I have heard complaints about the narrow fork width causing high shots. The outside width is 3 1/8" but the inside gap is still a reasonable 2". I anchor the TTF Mini-Taurus on my ear flap (tragus) to give point-on aiming at 20 yards. At 10 meters I just aim a tiny bit low or anchor a tiny bit higher. With a high anchor it almost feels like looking down a shotgun barrel.

·
Master of Swine Fu
2,624 Posts
@Northerner here's a funny, i shoot the ott and tuber versions way more better. i sent my 1st ttf version to a friend. i had a problem canting it. i think that an antislippery wrap will solve my canting problem. time and experience will tell.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@Northerner here's a funny, i shoot the ott and tuber versions way more better. i sent my 1st ttf version to a friend. i had a problem canting it. i think that an antislippery wrap will solve my canting problem. time and experience will tell.
Which way are you accidentally canting? I hold sideways and use the long edge of the fork to ensure I hold parallel to the ground. A quick glance at the fork gap ensures I'm not rotating the frame in my hand (torquing). A quick look at the upper band and fork junction shows that I am not experiencing front-to-back cant. I'm anxious to hear how the TTF works for you this time.

Try making or getting a wide Paracord lanyard with an adjustment at the front (see pics).

Lanyard 008b.jpg
Lanyard 006b.jpg

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I checked again to see exactly how I look for canting errors with the TTF Mini-Taurus. I hold the frame in my left hand and draw to anchor. As mentioned above, I first check to be sure the top edge of the upper fork is parallel to the ground. Then I ensure the bands are pulling at right angle to the forks. I look down the bands when aiming. Finally, I check the fork gap to ensure I'm not rotating the frame (torquing) but I use my left eye to see this while at anchor. The other two checks are with my right eye (aiming eye). It might seem like a long process but it takes about 2 or 3 seconds and becomes automatic.

Cant 004b.jpg Cant 005b.jpg

·
Master of Swine Fu
2,624 Posts
@Northerner LHH sideways or gangsta here too. i got left fork hits moslty, but one right mid. i think it twiisted from being a slick frame, when it gets here, i'm going to add antislick wrap or some such to prevent such goings on.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hi hoggy - Possibly the problem is opposite to what you are thinking. A tight hold might be contributing to torque during the release (rotational movement of frame). The lanyard allows you to relax the forearm muscles and relax the hold tension on the frame. You are less likely to torque when you have a weaker hold on the frame. The same principle applies to longbow shooters. A tight hold can create problems. We need to remember the rotating-head (RH) slingshot design when we think the forks must be held firmly.

The second suspect is your follow-through. Try exaggerating the follow-through until you hear the ball hit the target or backstop. Possibly you are dropping your frame hand a bit just after release. This would put the top fork in the way of the ammo path.

The third suspect is pouch release. Maybe you are tweaking the pouch a bit to create that little speed bump.

If you make frames, you might want to make an unfinished/rough wood TTF frame with a 2" fork gap. Tinker with the above ideas to see if you get fork hits.

·
Master of Swine Fu
2,624 Posts
Hi hoggy - Possibly the problem is opposite to what you are thinking. A tight hold might be contributing to torque during the release (rotational movement of frame). The lanyard allows you to relax the forearm muscles and relax the hold tension on the frame. You are less likely to torque when you have a weaker hold on the frame. The same principle applies to longbow shooters. A tight hold can create problems. We need to remember the rotating-head (RH) slingshot design when we think the forks must be held firmly.

The second suspect is your follow-through. Try exaggerating the follow-through until you hear the ball hit the target or backstop. Possibly you are dropping your frame hand a bit just after release. This would put the top fork in the way of the ammo path.

The third suspect is pouch release. Maybe you are tweaking the pouch a bit to create that little speed bump.

If you make frames, you might want to make an unfinished/rough wood TTF frame with a 2" fork gap. Tinker with the above ideas to see if you get fork hits.
Thanks for all the info. As i recall in mr. bill hays' description of shooting it. He said he he uses a medium grip with open fingers.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for all the info. As i recall in mr. bill hays' description of shooting it. He said he he uses a medium grip with open fingers.
Like shaking a lady's hand. Contact but not a squeeze. My pinky barely has any pressure. The pressure is on the web of the hand but you don't have to squeeze. My middle finger is a very light pressure. The ring finger levers the frame into position and has medium pressure. This method works for me with the light bands I shoot.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts