Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you spend on this hobby per year?
Under US$201110.09%
$20 to $501211.01%
$50-$1002119.27%
$100-$2001513.76%
$200-$5003330.28%
$500-$1,00087.34%
Over-$1,00098.26%
How much did individual slingshots you bought in the last year cost you (inc. postage, tax, etc.)?
Free (gift)1712.59%
US$0-$101611.85%
$10-$20118.15%
$20-$30128.89%
$30-$401410.37%
$40-$501410.37%
$50-$6075.19%
$60-$7032.22%
$70-$8064.44%
$80-$10064.44%
$100-$15096.67%
More than $1502014.81%
How Many Slingshots Do You Buy or Trade For in a Year?
0109.17%
11211.01%
22018.35%
3-53128.44%
6-102119.27%
10-2076.42%
Too many to count87.34%

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I wonder how much we each find ourselves spending on our hobby. I don't spend all that much (workshop rent notwithstanding) compared to my other hobbies like photography, I suppose. I spend most of my expense on making slingshots, but effectively that means I'm buying slingshots as I give them away in trade. I figure I must have spent $50 per month in materials and another $300 in purchases of bands and frames. I haven't travelled to any meets so I don't need to factor any of that in. Annualised, it must be over $1,000, but thankfully not by much.

As for slingshots, I think $20-30 is a total no-brainer if I like the design and fancy trying it. I think a $100 EPS or Scallops is about the upper limit for me, but who knows, if someone comes up with a really super design that I find inspirational or truly desireable i might go to over $100, but I think that $150 is all I can imagine spending these days. I guess that's what knife collectors said at first and look how many knives get sold for thousands of dollars.

This sport is unlike almost any other because it's a true social leveller. You can spend as much or as little as you like. Anyone can afford to get into it and get as much out of it as those who can afford to be chauffered to a tournament and shoot a solid gold fork.

What's your annual spending like? I've made is an anonymous poll so that your bank manager or spouse doesn't get the chance to see your response
but feel free to comment below. The top question is a single answer poll, but you can select multiple answers in the second one.

Edit: I've added a third question to see how voracious an appetite people have for other people's slingshot frames.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Kind of hard for me, the questions do not fit.

People keep sending me slingshots for reviews, which is great. I always offer to pay the full price, but in most cases people sent them for free anyway.

And I do spend a ton of money for my hobby (just the airfare to the ECST was more than a thousand), but then again I also have a growing income from youtube that I have to consider.

Anyway, interesting poll!

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

People keep sending me slingshots for reviews, which is great. I always offer to pay the full price, but in most cases people sent them for free anyway.

And I do spend a ton of money for my hobby (just the airfare to the ECST was more than a thousand), but then again I also have a growing income from youtube that I have to consider.

Jörg
I am honoured and grateful that you would choose to pay full price for the Scallops, my friend.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I voted the lowest for each one, probably because that's all I can spend. If I could spend more, I would.
That's the beauty of our sport. The man with no budget can beat the rich man and they can both share a beer and laugh together after.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts

Jörg
$1000 in airfare! Wow. Sorry to hear that. But I am sure everyone was pleased you could make it!

·
Registered
328 Posts
My slingshotting costs are higher this year then I expect for future years. Approx $150-$200. But I just started this year - so of course I had to buy several slingshots, lots of ammo, replacement bands, etc. Next year my costs should be significantly lower. Unless I get into "collecting". Right now, I'm only into "shooting". I'm sitting pretty good on the shooting aspect. I could get by spending zero dollars next year possibly. But that probably won't happen. There's always an ammo backstop/catcher that will need to be built, or some cool looking slingshot design that will catch my eye that I just have to have, etc.

Most of my "hobby money" goes to firearms. They cost a lot more than slingshots. I think I've bought 8 or 9 of those this year. Don't even ask me about ammo costs (much more expensive than slingshot ammo!) But the wife still outspends me on hobbies by a factor of about 99-to-1. She has a couple of horses and plays ice hockey and has NHL season tickets. Exxxpppeeennnsssiiivvveee!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
...but then again I also have a growing income from youtube that I have to consider.
Wow. You can actually get income from YouTube? Neat. I guess I'm behind the times and didn't know this. I'm glad to hear it, because I really enjoy your YouTube videos and hope they will continue for a long time. Getting a little income from them can only help. Yeah! ( Is this a donation thing for the videos that I'm unaware of and probably want to contribute to? Or does the money come from some other part of YouTube that I don't know about? )

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Had not been shooting much till this year, but had to get some things I saw. From A+ I got a PS-3, 2 BB shooters and bands for each. Before finding this site I bought a Saunder Wrist Rocket Pro and had bought a Quick Point from Chief AJ. Bought a Dankung from Danny. Retubed my old Wrist Rockets, Pocket Hunter and Laserhawk Stealth. Did not have to worry about ammo till I got the first BB shooter; I have put about 1500 over the top on it now.
This is too addictive.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
should also ask how many SS people make for themselves, as this is how i get nearly all my SS's

Reactions: ruthiexxxx

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've made four slingshots so far this year, but I included the cost of materials.
Technically the slingshot I made from the one board should be counted only a portion of the full cost of the board, but is counted above as that full cost. Future models made from the board will then count as free (materials on hand). That is, if I can convince myself to try it again. (The composite decking is devilish stuff to work without proper power equipment.) The other three were made from materials on hand.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I've easily already spent over $1000.00 and I've only been involved in this
sport/hobby 2 months now. WOW!

I wish you wouldn't have aksed now. LOL!!!

Addictions are expensive!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
...but then again I also have a growing income from youtube that I have to consider.
Wow. You can actually get income from YouTube?
[/quote]

Youtube (or, to be more precise, Google) has a partnership program. After they notice a certain amount of activity on a channel, they invite you (based on the individual video) to include your stuff into that program.

If you submit, you have to swear by your mother's heart that you haven't used any copyrighted material, such as a song or pics, and then they will add banner ads to your video, to your blog, the whole thing.

They send you checks only if you exceed 100 dollars in clicks (on the banners), which excludes most people out there. Fortunately, not my channel.

The money does help financing all the material and equipment, I am far away from making a profit. Which is cool, I don't want to make a business out of TSC.

Jörg

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I sell a few slingshots and the money I get from those goes towards buying new tools always handy, and getting supplies of tubing ammo leather and small bearings for the tube sets I make up.The M.d.f I use ive always got for free and have plenty left at the moment,Got my eyes open for more though dont want to miss an easy opportunity of free material.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
More than I expected to when I started but, all well worth the money. For the cost of one good shotgun (I have many) you can get many, many custom slingshots. Ammo is cheap compared to gun fodder, you can shoot them almost anywhere, even indoors. Like I said money well spent.
Philly

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.