Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about a cool aiming device for target shooting.

Of course an anchor point (i.e. corner of the mouth) is needed for aiming in general, but there are still canting issues.

So I thought about adding a length (maybe 8 or 10 inches) of half inch pipe to the top of the upper fork arm (sideways shooting), freely adjustable of course. If you can see the target through that pipe, you are 100% certain that you have not canted the slingshot, otherwise you could not look through the pipe.

What do you think?

Jörg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe I'm picturing it wrong in my head but wouldn't the rubber hit it? unless it was sticking 8 to 10 inches forward of the slingshot? But I do think it's a good idea, would definitely help the canting issue!

Baz

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already made a double pivot laser equipped slingshot, here:

But truth be told, a laser isn't so great for slingshots. Hard to see in daylight, and you will see it shaking while you draw out, kind of irritating.

I am thinking about a very simple aiming device.

My idea will not limit the draw length. It also does not have to be adapted to the individual shooter. Just a small piece of half inch pipe, about 20 cm long, attached to the upper fork tip. If you hold the frame like normal (arms length), then you have to cant it just right to see through the tube.

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
I have tried to improvise an aiming system onto my slingshots with some success. The problem is that if you mount anything onto the forks you have to compensate for the position of the scope/sight. The only way to combat this is to put something inbetween the forks,problem being put anything inside the forks and you incrase the chances of the shot making contact with the scope/sight. My personal solution to this problem was to mount a zip tie inbetween the forks to give me a point and a horizon. I think archers use this "pin" type system. I find this method gives me a better "rough" aim point more true to where the shot will travel the main factor I work against is elevation that only comes through practice and guestimation. See pics for my Sight system. If you are curious by the way the zip ties do take hits from the shot but regardles of what you may think it does not affect the velocity much at all the thin nylon plastic just bends out the way or snaps after a couple hundred shots. All that is to do then is cut the stump of the zip tie and replace.

·
Registered
87 Posts
oh ... i had made a mistake ...... apparently while looking back at some Joreg youtudes a moment ago, i realised him has already used red dot scope on his SS .....

my apologise :|

·
Resident Nutcase
131 Posts

Of course an anchor point (i.e. corner of the mouth) is needed for aiming in general, but there are still canting issues.

So I thought about adding a length (maybe 8 or 10 inches) of half inch pipe to the top of the upper fork arm (sideways shooting), freely adjustable of course. If you can see the target through that pipe, you are 100% certain that you have not canted the slingshot, otherwise you could not look through the pipe.

What do you think?

Jörg
JOergS: Not exactly for the poorman, but pick one up for your Diamond Edge. Theres a few vids up on youtube if your interested:

http://www.archeryinnovations.com/DOCS/What%20is%20an%20Anchor%20Sight.pdf

Very nice rugged simple and easy to use piece of equipment. Make you a better shot perhaps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
cable tie CLASSIC lol easy peasy sight guys

·
Registered
174 Posts

What do you think?

Jörg
To try it out, tape a fat (like for bubble tea) drinking straw to the fork. Really low cost and same affect.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Joerg, If anyone can do this it is you! My super hero is Jesus Christ but you are one of
my earthly hero's. The reason being, I tip my hat to anyone who does anything all out, taken
to a point where no one else will take it. When it comes to SS, you are it! The laser SS is
so cool. Me, I am more, "It's gotta fit in my pocket" kind of SS'er. The first firearm scopes
were empty tubes with fixed sights that had outside adjustment turrets. A tube fixed correctly
could work for one distance, I think even 6" could give good accuracy at 25 to 40 feet.-CD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.