Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and guyettes...Just checking in. Been a while since I started a thread. I got pretty cocky at 25ft. shooting 7/16 ammo with the bands over length for my 28" draw. So I moved back to 33ft. Couldn't hit anything and I notice what seemed to be a drop in my shots. So I cut my bands back to 6" still with the 7/8 straight black bands. I'm using a sorta Bill Hayes grip on the pouch, between the two knuckles and my thumb. ( 3 point). Man, it's all I can do to hold on to the pouch, I'm pretty sure that it's throwing me off. My poor old 75yr. old hand isn't going to make it. I have some 3/8 ammo, and could down my band width to 3/4, but don't know if that combination would be easier to hold. The answers are there, I just have to find them. Not really looking for help, but just venting and pitching a fit. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Could also be a ammo/band issue - I find that esp. BB's they can be super accurate at closer ranges but suddenly start veering all over at longer ones (can miss the target by as much as a meter or more) - if overpowered.

Or like GP says - it could suddenly come together :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I shot 3/8" steel for many years but dropped down to 5/16" and 1/4" last summer. The small ammo is still heavy enough for the long 50 yard shots but I wouldn't use it for hunting. If you're just a plinker and target shooter then the 5/16" or 8mm might work for you. They aren't as difficult to handle as you would think. Little .177cal BBs can be a pain to handle.

Last summer I was shooting 1/4" steel at 75 yards and managed to hit a pie plate many times. I tried a 3/8" steel from the same distance and it hit the ground about 20 yards before the target. Trajectory sucks on the big ammo unless you can manage heavy rubber. My old hands like a 6-8 pound draw and occasionally up to 10 pounds.

·
Amateur
2,570 Posts
Sometimes just stepping away for 5 to 10 min can do wonders. I'm not saying that you are, but also remember not to take it too seriously, slingshots are supposed to be fun.

Mix in some light shooting as well. lighter drawing bands really allow you to focus on the fundamentals: pouch hold, release, fork angle, etc.

·
Registered
566 Posts
“Pitching a fit” .....you and me. I found the learning curve sometimes painful. You’ll eventually find your groove sure enough. I use that same pouch hold too....most of the time anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Always frustrating when you feel you finally have the bands / ammo nailed, and only a few steps further back and it seems to have fallen apart.

Thinner bands are one option, they have a surprising amount of power and even 0.1 thinner makes a huge difference to draw.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks every body for the input. I'll figure it out. Just love a puzzle! When I finally get a reasonable hold on this hobby, think about what a pain in the butt I'll be to the newbies! No reason they shouldn't suffer the way I did. No I couldn't do that, I'll always be available for advice. Maybe bad advice, but at least it's free...8>)..

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'll tell you the advice I got when I started out....always shoot from at least 10m away. Shooting at short distances can hide many technique issues, sonyou really do need the extra distance to show you exactly how you are doing and how you are improving.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
You can make up for some speed loss with tapered bands. I shoot 7/16 at targets with a 3/4” to 1/2” taper. Works great for 10m. And has a much sweeter draw. The hold and release to me was the hardest thing to get consistent. Just keep tinkering till you find what works best for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts