Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? Just wanted to share a cool find with you all. My dad works in a laboratory for an agricultural company, and they use something called boiling chips when boiling different chemicals. The idea is the chips keep the acid/liquid from boiling out of the container. Anyway, he gave me a box they had to throw out, and I gotta say, these things are awesome!

Made of porcelain, 1/2" wide, and weighing 3 grams, these things come in a 1lb box with approximately 150 pellets. I've been shooting them on looped 1632 tubes mounted with tabs on natty frame I got from Devil's Son In Law. These things are FLYING!!! I expected them to shatter on impact, but they were flying my way off trees and bricks, so some caution is needed. They seem to fly pretty true, although the shape isn't 100% spherical. I don't know how much of an impact they make, but I was putting some dents in a soup can at 15 feet.

At approximately $50 a box I'm not going to be stocking up on these (manufacturer was Fisher Scientific) but they are certainly nice to shoot. If I get lucky I may be able to score a few more boxes from his lab as they rotate products. So I'm curious, does anyone else have strange ammo finds? I've used marbles, and have heard of people shooting hex nuts and fishing sinkers. What do you all like to shoot in a pinch?

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like good ammo as long as you don't use to much band . They would be even better in a 5/8 inch diameter .
Yeah, It seems like the 1632 is perfect for it. I've been shooting some 3/8" steel and it wasn't zipping them so much as lobbing them. I should just make a new setup for my different ammo, but I'm lazy :D.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Wow, they look nice indeed. I would say that they seem to be (and behave as) a crossover between glass marbles and clay pellets.

My ammo of choice are marbles (cheap and accurate up to a distance of 65 feet), hex nuts, BB's and the occasional steel ball.

Cheers ...Q

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found someone selling iron ore balls. Not truly round but they would probably fly true. He says he sorts them before shipping and I believe they are around 3/8. Been thinking about trying them.
If you do let us know how they work!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
i have used hex nuts [hunting wabbits] and recently have been using lead fishing sinkers for can killing [aluminium and tin] still want to try the cut up rebar that one of the other member uses

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Found someone selling iron ore balls. Not truly round but they would probably fly true. He says he sorts them before shipping and I believe they are around 3/8. Been thinking about trying them.
If you do let us know how they work!
we used to get them from the train yards not all that heavy but roundish it's strange stuff not sure I would spend cash on it if same stuff I am thinking

·
Registered
662 Posts
i have used hex nuts [hunting wabbits] and recently have been using lead fishing sinkers for can killing [aluminium and tin] still want to try the cut up rebar that one of the other member uses
Since you use them for hunting. Do the hex-nuts fly true? I always thought they wouldn't because of the flat sides.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you use them for hunting. Do the hex-nuts fly true? I always thought they wouldn't because of the flat sides.
I wondered that too. Do they ever sail on you? Or do you have a max range with them before they start tailing off?

Reactions: dogcatchersito

·
Registered
76 Posts
These sound like they are maybe a slightly denser version of baking beads. Maybe even the same thing depending on how big they are. The baking beads are pretty cheap from the supermarket and fly really well out to about 10m.

Just dont let the porcelain anywhere near any glass you are fond of. A teeny tiny impact on glass will break it.

I wondered that too. Do they ever sail on you? Or do you have a max range with them before they start tailing off?
I havnt hunted with them but ive found they are just as true at 10-15m as steel balls. At 20+m they may start to get some deviation, but that could be my release technique.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts