Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 568 Posts

· Registered
7,772 Posts
got these a couple weeks ago and a day ago,the first on is made by,off grid knives,its advertised as an *outdoors* blade but more of a last ditch knife IMHO,the other two are because i collect unusual box cutters,weird i know,but, the one on the left is a Kershaw,a bit like the Boker rocket,which i will be getting soon] its actually a nice EDC piece,stout blade for a little one,the other i just found at an Academy store its made by Outdoor Edge and is a good box cutter,got it because i have a couple outdoor edge knives and they are awesome. Hope ya'll enjoy,thanks for looking
Hey do you have the model of the Kershaw? It looks neat, might like to get one, thanks :)
sorry wrong knife,my brain isn't fully engaged,lol. the Kershaw is an Amazon find,its called the Pub #40368lux,there is another one called the Cinder that looks interesting as well

· Super Moderator
6,063 Posts
Those are some cool knives.

Can't wait to be reunited with my knives.
Did "they" take them away from you?
In Storage :)

On Hand -

Victorinox Huntsman (Fieldmaster - EDC)

Victorinox Economy from late 80's

More Companion SS Heavy Duty

Opinel no.8 Stainless

Opinel N0.6 Carbon

3 cheap Chinese beater lock blade knives

Large liner lock - no name - sample sent to me. Nice knife

· Banned
1,457 Posts
Well these aren't recent, but they are EDC.

1. A Russian interpretation of the Fairbrain-Sykes.

Tool Plant Gesture Finger Knife

Tool Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

Plant Tool Gesture Knife Finger

For those not familiar with this type of knife:

Needless to say, it's not for battoning wood.

2. Karambit.

Hair Head Arm Human body Eyelash

Gesture Thumb Wrist Nail Human leg

Also not for battoning wood.

3. Scalpel

Actually the most useful EDC blade. The blade is replaceable, of course.

Tableware Plant Textile Grass Terrestrial plant

Green Rectangle Grass Terrestrial plant Font

The safety cap is from a plastic Mountain Dew bottle shaped by a lighter. :rofl:

I have a bunch of folding knives but those are next to useless in a self-defense situation.

Attachments

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

attachicon.gif
15879855941360.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855942341.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855942582.jpg

2. Karambit.

attachicon.gif
15879855942913.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855943184.jpg

3. Scalpel

attachicon.gif
15879867668330.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879867668791.jpg

The safety cap is from a plastic Mountain Dew bottle shaped by a lighter. :rofl:

I have a bunch of folding knives but those are next to useless in a self-defense situation.
Who's the maker of the F-S dagger, and what steel is it made of? Thanks.

· Banned
1,457 Posts
Don't know. I was bored and saw it while web surfing an online shopping site and made an impulse purchase.

Like many online purchases, it did not come in a branded box.

I do know it's Russian and stainless steel with a rockwell hardness of 61-62. I threw the sheath away... it was useless... and made my own. It is very sharp... it just touched me by accident and I got a cut.

This is what it sez on the blade:

Rectangle Electric blue Font Bag Natural material

Finger Camera accessory Material property Electric blue Font

I'm afraid that's all I know.

Attachments

· Registered
85 Posts
Here's three good camping blades. A number 10 Opinel, a vintage billhook and a good old everything knife. All three obtained within the last few months to add to my collection of camping gear.

The Opinel is an amazing thing. So simple, so cheap and so easy to keep razor sharp.

The Billhook is a real tool. Much better at axe duties than an axe and capable of so much more. This one is pretty old and was probably hand forged out of a lump of red hot metal on an anvil by some guy with a big hammer and a handlebar mustache. A really useful thing to have along in case you have to create a nice comfy log cabin while waiting to be rescued from a desert island or something.

The Elite Force was just an impulse buy because it was on sale at about half price and I've never had a big stainless steel knife before so I was curious. I haven't used it much yet so I can't say how good or bad it is, it's just a knife.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

· Super Moderator
6,063 Posts

attachicon.gif
15879855941360.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855942341.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855942582.jpg

2. Karambit.

attachicon.gif
15879855942913.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855943184.jpg

3. Scalpel

attachicon.gif
15879867668330.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879867668791.jpg

Joseph Rogers made and still makes the original. They do have a site you can buy from.

· Registered
7,772 Posts
So,after a couple days in different terrains,this is what i got,cut up a couple cardboard boxes,whittled a bunch of oak,pecan and maple[?] branches,cut som rope,and performed well,not a *real* carving type knife,although i do like the blade shape and grind,the handle is comforatable, but,about 3/4 of an inch too long IMO,the tassle it came with Had to go,all in all agood utility/camp backup blade.oh and my son in law cleaned two bass that he caught with it,they were tasty :)

Attachments

· Neophyte
2,319 Posts
Here's three good camping blades. A number 10 Opinel, a vintage billhook and a good old everything knife. All three obtained within the last few months to add to my collection of camping gear.

The Opinel is an amazing thing. So simple, so cheap and so easy to keep razor sharp.

The Billhook is a real tool. Much better at axe duties than an axe and capable of so much more. This one is pretty old and was probably hand forged out of a lump of red hot metal on an anvil by some guy with a big hammer and a handlebar mustache. A really useful thing to have along in case you have to create a nice comfy log cabin while waiting to be rescued from a desert island or something.

The Elite Force was just an impulse buy because it was on sale at about half price and I've never had a big stainless steel knife before so I was curious. I haven't used it much yet so I can't say how good or bad it is, it's just a knife.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
I have my eye out for a vintage billhook, they are not very common in my part of the world but they look to me like they could put in some work :)

Reactions: skarrd

· Registered
7,772 Posts

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
I have my eye out for a vintage billhook, they are not very common in my part of the world but they look to me like they could put in some work :)
the heavy duty ones are Rare,i have a friend with an older one,that he wont part with.

· Registered
3,604 Posts
These are posted in other threads, but figured I'd throw them in here as well. Marble's equal end Cattleman's knife. In my opinion this is the perfect pocket knife. Three very sharp and useful blades. Good size. Excellent fit and finish. My favorite pattern (along with sleeveboards). Priced so you won't cry if you lose it!

Also got this Imperial Schrade. Threw it into my cart for a whopping $5.25! Excellent fit and finish.

Tableware Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Cutlery

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive design Motor vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

attachicon.gif
15879855941360.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855942341.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855942582.jpg

2. Karambit.

attachicon.gif
15879855942913.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879855943184.jpg

3. Scalpel

attachicon.gif
15879867668330.jpg

attachicon.gif
15879867668791.jpg

Joseph Rogers made and still makes the original. They do have a site you can buy from.
I already have a Sheffield made F-S dagger.

· Registered
85 Posts

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
I have to admit that I wasn't initially convinced by billhookery until I happened to get this one on the cheap. Since then I've had it out camping a couple of times and now I'd gladly take the billhook instead of an axe.

You can still get modern ones that are OK. My old one is a vintage Spear and Jackson and it looks like it was forged by hammer and tongs. It's got a thicker spine than the rest of the blade which makes it heavy in all the right places and the quality of the steel really keeps an edge. It's what they used to use for hedge work and it needed to be good all day long, day after day.

You can get modern ones for a reasonable price although they mostly seem to be a single thickness blade. I've got a modern Spear and Jackson one as well which wasn't too badly priced and it's still a very good thing but the vintage ones made by pounding metal on an anvil are highly sought after and usually cost twice that. You can still find vintage ones occasionally being sold by people who don't realize there's a collector's market for them. Apparently, the older the better. I never realized there was a whole billhook nerd world out there until I got one. And yes, just like other people will mention I will not get rid of it. Good vintage ones are hard to find.

· Neophyte
2,319 Posts
Picked this one up yesterday. Really like Ontario Knife Company's products and got a fair deal on this one. Ordered the kydex sheath for it today, I will post pics of that when it gets here :)

Wanted to get basically a grab and go, do all knife, I think this should fit the bill. Anyone have any experience taking the finish off a knife like this? I have removed the finish from my Cold Steel knife and am wondering if this is a similar finish or something more difficult to remove?

Attachments

41 - 60 of 568 Posts