Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stand side-on to shoot, my body is twisted slightly to the side to look along the bands. After repeated sessions of shooting this is causing stiffness in the lower back and my neck. I have had back issues off and on for many years and worry my new hobby may not help. I was hoping as it is kind of like using fitness bands it may have helped. I was wondering if anyone experiences similar issues or has any solutions. The main problem is see is the pulling and stretching with the one side more than the other.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Neck pain was causing me some problems and so I did two things. First is I started shooting opposite hand more (and got pretty good) and second is I shortened my bands. I shot full and half butterfly for years. By shortening the bands I was able to de-stress my neck and shoulders to the point that it isn’t a problem anymore.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sounds like you're starting to figure out how to find a good position. One thing I might suggest is to keep your head straight up and down and bring your slingshot into alignment with your vertical head. Instead of leaning over to the slingshot do it the other way and just make sure your bands are lined up and you'll shoot exactly the same and this may relieve some stress on your neck if tilting your head over and turn your head at the same time as causing problems.

For me I shoot with my head straight up, my back straight and I pull those back muscles tight like I'm trying to squeeze a ball between my shoulder blades and hold solid form. I found this also helps taking a deep breath, having head straight up, and squeezing my shoulder blades together.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have found that standing at an angle roughly 45 degrees when facing the target optimizes the aiming stance, and reduces the adverse effects you are describing (lumbar and neck pains?), as your holding arm and aiming eye are thus more aligned with the upper aiming band (O.T.T).

If you are indeed struggling with lumbar back pain, I learned from a physiotherapist that lumbar back pain signals very tense upper back muscles. The solution is to lie flat on your back, the hip pressing down on the floor, with the legs bent to an upside down V-shape, and side to side movements of the legs to relieve the upper back tension of the muscles. This should be accompanied by controlled simultaneous breathing. 10 minutes or so works wonders.

Standing sideways to the target does not seem to yield the best slingshot shooting results from my personal experience, but is necessary when shooting with a bow of any kind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.