Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I tried shooting with my elbow of the drawing arm, completely in line with my shoulders. It feels unatural and uncomfortable because I haven't practiced it, but....the shots did go straight...
So, before I change my form, is it something you do? Or you keep it an angle to your shoulder?

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
"Generally speaking", if you can keep your elbow in line with your bands, not necessarily your shoulder but your bands and slingshot... then you should have a more consistent and less tweeked release.

But the thing is, if you learned and then got used to your elbow in another position then changing it up might not be worth the effort. Your body and mind and point of aim vs. point of impact conditioned reflex, will already be accustomed to what you already are doing.... taking quite a considerable amount of time to change for an overall benefit of possibly very little if anything accuracy-wise.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Generally speaking", if you can keep your elbow in line with your bands, not necessarily your shoulder but your bands and slingshot... then you should have a more consistent and less tweeked release.
But the thing is, if you learned and then got used to your elbow in another position then changing it up might not be worth the effort. Your body and mind and point of aim vs. point of impact conditioned reflex, will already be accustomed to what you already are doing.... taking quite a considerable amount of time to change for an overall benefit of possibly very little if anything accuracy-wise.
I think I've reached a plateau in my shooting, and weird things happen. For one, I find it easier to focus and hit a string than a 4cm spinner. I know the reason, and I am working on it, it's a focus issue most probably. The thing is that I don't shoot for a long time, just started in April, and I already corrected some bad habits partially.
To cut it short, I am willing to change everything, I don't mind taking 100 steps backwards, if it means that after hard work I will be making just a step forward and reach 101 :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmmm, after watching Mark's video I realized I shoot very similar to him, difference being that I twist the pouch 90°. This twist may be whats holding me back.
Ok, guys, I guess a month of shooting with a different pouch hold will reveal the truth. Except if I get frustrated early on and carry on the way I shoot now ????

Reactions: Tag

·
See The Target
21,433 Posts
I was at a shoot once where " Blue Skeen " was observing me shooting . Blue said " get your elbow up " . Well of course I did . I immediately hit the target on the next shot . I looked over at Blue and he smiled and nodded his head to me . That has always stuck with me . I now get my elbow up . It makes sense to me .

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at a shoot once where " Blue Skeen " was observing me shooting . Blue said " get your elbow up " . Well of course I did . I immediately hit the target on the next shot . I looked over at Blue and he smiled and nodded his head to me . That has always stuck with me . I now get my elbow up . It makes sense to me .
Do you use a fixed anchor? With a fixed anchor I also have my elbow pointing up, it's just not in line with the shoulder blades, pointing up and a bit forward, if that makes sense.
With a floating anchor I naturally line up my elbow with my shoulder blades as I draw further back.

Reactions: Tag

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think my fixed anchor form might be elbow up, too. I need to get a frame in my hand and think about that. I twist 90 degrees with a fixed anchor, but not with semi butterfly. Strangely, I still get the same strange aiming discrepancies - shots almost always hit to the left of where the bands appear to be pointing, so my aiming reference is about 5mm left along the top of the fork from the line of the bands (OTT). I figure that was to do with a tweak to go with the twist, but that doesn't explain the same thing with no twist.

I've made full changes of shooting style twice in the last few months since coming back to slingshots and advanced my accuracy enormously, so don't hesitate to make an informed and analytical change to see what happens. I did it to take pressure off the dud finger by gripping the pouch in different ways, but it has worked out better overall.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that you mention it, I think my fixed anchor form might be elbow up, too. I need to get a frame in my hand and think about that. I twist 90 degrees with a fixed anchor, but not with semi butterfly. Strangely, I still get the same strange aiming discrepancies - shots almost always hit to the left of where the bands appear to be pointing, so my aiming reference is about 5mm left along the top of the fork from the line of the bands (OTT). I figure that was to do with a tweak to go with the twist, but that doesn't explain the same thing with no twist.

I've made full changes of shooting style twice in the last few months since coming back to slingshots and advanced my accuracy enormously, so don't hesitate to make an informed and analytical change to see what happens. I did it to take pressure off the dud finger by gripping the pouch in different ways, but it has worked out better overall.
Exactly that, I am not afraid to change things up. Only difference is that as time goes by, I change up less and less things.
I think that a change in twist to no twist will be the last change. I need to start practicing it now to be ready for the real practice over the weekend.

Reactions: ash

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from work and took some shots with the new no twist pouch hold.
Before I took the first shot, while I was at full draw, my sight picture screamed "shot too high", or was it the spider sense? I chose to ignore it because yeah, what could my instinct know? Different pouch hold, and as a result general hand position, so I gave it a go. True enough my instinct knew better and the shot went very high, barely entering the catch box.
Next shot I do everything the same except for adjusting my head tilt enough so as to get my usual sight picture, and 16mm target barely missed. I had some more close misses, then went to the harder 4cm spinner (I shot better the 16mm target, don't ask). I hit it but not square, I hit it a bit low and right, something unusual as I generally tend to miss to the right. I shoot the 3cm spinner, close miss low and left, shoot again, hit, another shot also a hit. At this point I called it quits because I need to drink some coffee and the sun is overhead and annoying.
Long story short, the no twist hold proved itself very quickly. I also emulated Seljan's release a bit, maybe that helped. What I discovered is that that the tendency to loose my windage didn't make an appearance, and without any real effort. I was always untrusty of twisting, as a minor tweak will throw the shot left or right, while a straight hold ensures better consistency on windage.
Oh, don't ask, I did raise my elbow, no way to shoot with no twist and a low elbow as the shot goes too high, it just came naturally to raise it after the first shot.
Yep, I am a convert again, and yet again I can't thank enough everyone. Many consider this hobby as something meaningless, but for me its what I do when I am not at work, I shoot slingshots with the purpose of becoming the best I can. And I am deeply grateful for your help guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts