Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as weapons other than slingshots go, I'm a big fan of potato cannons. In case you don't know what they are, they're assemblies of PVC pipe with a sparker and a chamber. Hairspray is sprayed into the chamber, and the sparker is pressed. This sends a potato hurling out of the barrel. The cannons that I make, however. Use compressed air and a valve. I'm interested in any stories of someone else's cannon, if they have one.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I also like to make and shoot blowguns. They are also great fun and don't cost much at all. I make razor broad-head darts to hunt with and target points for plain fun. My favorite size is 68 caliber. Usual target size is 50 caliber.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Oh yeah Red Range, I do remember Potato Cannons. We made one and shot a spud right through 2 school windows and slammed into a slate blackboard and cracked it. It was an accident. The pedastal we had the cannon on slipped as we set it off. That was back in the 70's. They were the rage for a time back then and quite powerful! (BTW,Aquanet was our favorite brand of hairspray!) Flatband

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once while experimenting with my friends, we decided it would be fun to shoot a baseball bat out of it. I must admit, it was spectacular while it lasted. But we packed it up when it almost hit a nearby car. (Thank God it was empty)

·
Registered
126 Posts
all pneumatic all the time!
the old school combustion type are nasty and unstable
ive made may PCs if anyone has questions i can help or at least steer you in the right direction

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
If I lived in a jurisdiction that allowed me to do this, I'd be dead and in all the newspapers. I think some laws were written not just to protect the public but to protect people like me from ourselves. I couldn't just follow the plans, I'd try for the biggest baddest gun, as I'm sure many of you would. I had this idea of making a slingshot that would go a lot faster than 100m/s. I've been brainstorming about cams, gears, pulleys and any form of leverage, even pneumatics. I thought what would a slingshot look like if I threw out all the rules about what makes a slingshot a slingshot? An idea popped into my head of a hairspray+air powered airgun. Then I happened across this guy who was exponentially crazier than me and actually built a backyard two-stage light gas gun (link). He built a potato canon firing a pickle at just under the speed of sound. The principle behind it is to make an air gun that has an explosive (powder or a gas mixture) for a spring and replaces air in the piston chamber with a light gas like hydrogen or helium that accelerates better than air down the barrel. He made two big mistakes though. (1) He chose Hydrogen as the light gas; and (2) He used regular PVC piping not a thick walled seamless steel pressure vessel. Well, his gun wasn't up to the task and nearly won himself an entry in the Darwin Awards. Maybe he would have had more success if he used helium and a big steel gun like NASA. NASA had more success flinging aluminium slugs and small rocks at upto 3km/s (link link link).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ive made airguns from pvc/steel pipes and ball valve. The idea is the prssurized air is pumped into the chamber, and released all at once through the ball valve. Thus sending the ammo ( a 3-4 inch Nail dart) out a barrel and through 3/4'' plywood. I put it on a carved stock and made a spring trigger to open the ball valve faster. But thats optional. Powerful and accurate, but had to deal with extremely slow reloding (din make a breech), Pumping 30-40 times to get 1 shot. Then the worst part it leaked when it was a few months old, hard work down the drain. Did a little hunting with it but not worth the trouble. Only suitable for tough critters. Slingshots and blowguns still rule.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
As far as weapons other than slingshots go, I'm a big fan of potato cannons. In case you don't know what they are, they're assemblies of PVC pipe with a sparker and a chamber. Hairspray is sprayed into the chamber, and the sparker is pressed. This sends a potato hurling out of the barrel. The cannons that I make, however. Use compressed air and a valve. I'm interested in any stories of someone else's cannon, if they have one.
Those hairspray ones are lethal, I wouldn't shoot one if you paid me!
A couple of years ago I made my own pneumatic cannon, using a simple ball valve, several feet of PVC tubing and a plastic bottle, modified to fit a schrader valve. I only had very primitive tools at my disposal so it was far from perfect, but I could pump it up to about 80PSI before it began to leak, it send AA batteries at scary speeds, they would go straight through 1/2 boards of hardwood and smashed bricks with ease! I'm kind of surprised our draconian government hasn't passed any laws outlawing these things - they seem to have with just about everything else! - I didn't have the tools required to measure the energy it was producing, but I'm pretty sure that if it was refined it could kill, scary thought!

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Lol, just looked up the laws regarding 'Spud Guns' in the UK, they're not allowed to produce over 4 joules of kinetic energy else they're legally classed as a section 1 Firearm!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmmmmmm sput gun potato gun ...............................
we shoot a Carbit canon

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MePTjQmHhcc

We use Carbit mixed with water it makes a highly flammable gas ( they used it for welding maybe 40 years ago or light a gas lamp for lighting ) we ignite the mixture of gas and oxygen at the right time using the diesel igniter from a truck .
We shoot a foot ball on a 15 mtr rope .
I can tell you its a VERY LOUD bang

Without the rope the football will travel for more then 100 mtr
This is at Ozzys place this winter
We where testing the igniter in these vids.

Have Fun
PTL

·
Registered
525 Posts
I wouldent shoot spud guns, orange guns or cannons that use flammable gas id prefer compresed air it is much more safer and you can choose
how far you want the spud, orange to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
dude! i want a carbit cannon, that looks like amazing fun
Look at this vid.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

There much more of these experiments going on !! on You Tube
The one Ive made is small and light weight , but very loud

When windows trembling ( almost cracking ) thats just a little too much for my wife to handle

Shooting Carbit Canons is a tradition in the period round New Years eve .
Most people that shoot Carbit uses old milk cans from the farmer and shoot the steel lid or a Basket ball far away in a open field .

Have Fun
PTL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts