Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Sure looks awesome when it's done!

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a good alternative to wooden slingshots are slingshots made out steel
I agree, but some people like wide-body slingshots. This should be stronger and longer lasting since it is waterproof. It also, as Smitty said, looks pretty awesome!

·
2,153 Posts
A person could make a slingshot this way by cutting denim into sheets about 6"x8" saturate and stack cloth until maybe 1 1/2" high. Another way to clamp is to use a plastic bag and a vacuum pump to suck out all the air from the bag with the denim inside. Even clamping on any shape. Then you could cut and shape it just like a board cut or even make it look like a natural tree fork wearing jeans! Lots of ways to be creative with this stuff!

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
I remember another guy from a different forum who had great success with the Micarta frames. This technique was originally used by Knife makers ( he happens to be an exceptional knife guy). His name is CK ,and he's the Administrator for the Catapult Kids Forum. I never personally tried the technique. It is messy so be ready, but the end results can be stunning and they are pretty strong. I just have too much fun with wood!
Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
"Jeancarta" and its variants are well known in the knife community. I really admire some of the beautiful knife handles made by the various knife forum guys out of the stuff, but there are a couple considerations to take into account:

1. As flatband mentioned, very messy process with some nasty chemicals (and pricey if you don't already have most of the "ingredients" you'll need). Make sure you have a good open work area with no kids or pets around (and a good set of rubber gloves
).

2. Most wood can be cut, ground, and sanded with a simple mask over the mouth and nose (with a few exceptions); whereas, any form of micarta or other laminate, due to the synthetic resins used in the lamination process, gives off EXTREMELY toxic dust during grinding/sanding. THe result is that you'll need to invest in a good cartridge style, pro grade respirator before embarking upon such a project(another $30-50 or so to your initial costs).

These laminates can be made out of basically any cloth, and they do produce some very interesting,beautiful and durable results.

·
2,153 Posts
Well I guess I'll stick with wood too. I don't want to be breathing toxic stuff either.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
If you want something really different try Lexan. Strong clear can be shaped with wood working tools. Besides you can see thru it when you are shooting
great stuff.

Attachments

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does look awesome wingshooter! Do you have to wear any special gear to sand it? Do you polish it after you get it to the shape you want?

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
That does look awesome wingshooter! Do you have to wear any special gear to sand it? Do you polish it after you get it to the shape you want?
Aaron I cut the shape with a small band saw then use a small round over bit on my router table to round over the edges. Then I use a diamond file and 220 sandpaper to smoth the edges.After that I use a cotton buffing wheel to polish the edges with some buffing compound. You have to use a light hand on the buffing because heat will melt the surface. It is very strong but not brittle as most plastic is. You have to be careful with the surface and keep the film on both sides while your working it because it will scratch. You don't have to wear special gear to work it. I noticed this afternoon when I was shooting you can see through the slingshot when your shooting kind of cool.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
this is a very stroung alternative to wood or metal. A thickness of 1/2" to 3/4" would work nicely but would safly test first. In my younger years i worked a simaler prosess in fiberglass and a 1/4" sheet would support a full grown person with little bowing and no bresking. We would then finish it with a prosess caled waxing witch is jist mixing resen with extra hardner sets faster and makes for a better finish.

·
2,153 Posts
Can you buy Lexan at some place like Home Depot? About how much does it cost? I might want to try that stuff too!

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Can you buy Lexan at some place like Home Depot? About how much does it cost? I might want to try that stuff too!
Smitty, Places like Lowes or Home Depot carry thin sheets. You will have to find a plastic dealer to get the 1/2 stock. Lexan only goes up to 1/2 inch thick. It can be laminated and that is one of my next projects. I don't have exact cost but it is like $23.00 per sqare foot. Out of the piece I had I made 4 full size and one shirt pocket model. Lexan comes in a few different colors I know there is white and a translusent one you can not see through. Try it you'll like it.

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Thank you Wingshooter. You tha man!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Thank you Wingshooter. You tha man!
Here is the best plastic supply house that I have found. Tex
http://www.boedeker.com/
[/quote]
Wow! They have just about everything you could ask for!
[/quote]
Wow is right I didn't know there was that much to chose from. You would have to be a certified engineer to pick the right one. I have used Lexan before so picked what I was used to. The salesman showed me some stuff that had bullets imbeded in it that they used for banks. That would make one tough frame (bullet proof)

·
2,153 Posts
Thanks Tex for the great site!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts