Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Is constrictor knot with polypropylene twine not a good idea then ? 馃 I got the method from Keith dieton mind you the vid was 7 years old lol thanks for advice
Poly twine just seems like too much for the job intended. Pull cotton twine too tight and it will break. Pull poly twine too tight and it will cut right into your bands. Cotton is softer and more flexible and just works perfectly. We only need to hold little bits of elastic together under a few pounds of force. We're not lashing down lawn furniture during a storm. When using good elastic (In my experience Simple Shot and 100% Slingshot) and using cotton constrictor knots, my bandsets would last well beyond their optimum lifespan, where performance would start to drop. At that point I would either make a new bandset, or more likely just shoot it until it finally breaks. I got hundreds of shots per set. Elastic is cheap and is a consumable. We know it will break and need to be replaced. Maybe I'm strange, but if I find an elastic that I like and gives the performance and accuracy I want, I don't care if it lasts for 600 shots or 150 shots. I know it's going to break and need to be replaced. No need for sorrow or surprise when it does. Just make another bandset and get on with shooting.

Registered
Poly twine just seems like too much for the job intended. Pull cotton twine too tight and it will break. Pull poly twine too tight and it will cut right into your bands. Cotton is softer and more flexible and just works perfectly. We only need to hold little bits of elastic together under a few pounds of force. We're not lashing down lawn furniture during a storm. When using good elastic (In my experience Simple Shot and 100% Slingshot) and using cotton constrictor knots, my bandsets would last well beyond their optimum lifespan, where performance would start to drop. At that point I would either make a new bandset, or more likely just shoot it until it finally breaks. I got hundreds of shots per set. Elastic is cheap and is a consumable. We know it will break and need to be replaced. Maybe I'm strange, but if I find an elastic that I like and gives the performance and accuracy I want, I don't care if it lasts for 600 shots or 150 shots. I know it's going to break and need to be replaced. No need for sorrow or surprise when it does. Just make another bandset and get on with shooting.
Thanks for advice mate I'll give that cotton buthers twine a try 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi mate I was put off using ordinary bands thought cuts of thera be better but old skool methods always proves test of time what dimensions elastic bands to use is best ? Thanks
Hello Paulie g,

To make the ligatures, I use the rest of the 0.75 mm band that I cut in width 2 to 2.5 mm and length 70 mm. The wide part of a used strip is also suitable.
The conical cut of my groups is 195mmx12mmx8mm in 0.75mm or 0.6mm (extension 800mm).

Have good day;

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I use chrystal string, three double twists, three knots on top, done. My bands last pretty long, elongation factor is imo more important for band life than the material used for tying.
Hello Outil,

You're right, the elongation factor is more important than the method of securing the pocket if done right. to each his own method.

For my 3/2 conical groups, I use an overall elongation factor of 4.5 to stay below the maximum elongation factor of my band towards the pocket (6) see table.

Have good day

Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Pattern

Premium Member
I haven't tried using cuffs for a while so i thought id give it another go

Green Tints and shades Art String instrument accessory Sports equipment

after fitting the cuff I gut the excess off quite tight to the cuff.
After a couple of shots the excess had started to pull through the cuff so, more on one side than the other so I gave up on the band set before it pulled right through.

Window Line Recreation Tints and shades Wood
Table Hood Chair Wood Flooring

For me, back to the constrictor knot.

I use Loctite 55 (the first thing that came to hand when I made my first band set)
It鈥檚 a plumbing thread sealer. Rather than hemp it鈥檚 like dental floss with added PTFE.

does the trick for me

Hood Automotive lighting Gas Water Wood

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I haven't tried using cuffs for a while so i thought id give it another go

View attachment 357972
after fitting the cuff I gut the excess off quite tight to the cuff.
After a couple of shots the excess had started to pull through the cuff so, more on one side than the other so I gave up on the band set before it pulled right through.

View attachment 357973 View attachment 357974
For me, back to the constrictor knot.

I use Loctite 55 (the first thing that came to hand when I made my first band set)
It鈥檚 a plumbing thread sealer. Rather than hemp it鈥檚 like dental floss with added PTFE.

does the trick for me

View attachment 357975
Hi friend,
I also tested the handcuff and I have the same problem of slipping the end dead of the elastic end in the handcuff. During pull-ups, the active end decreases in volume and allows the end dead to slip into the handcuff.
Have good day;

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Until there is a new winner! :)
Hello Valery,
You're right, that's why I'm testing other repair solutions and looking at the benefits over my current solution. I have even tested the collage without success for the moment.
I am currently testing another method of passing the elastic through the pocket to reduce elastic slippage before the ligature is put in place. Perhaps an idea with no future, to see :unsure: .
Have good day; :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts