Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my pouch design. I used pigskin from Tandy leather and Weldwood contact cement. I cut 1 inch strips 3 3/4 long and folded the ends back 1/2 inch and marked them. I glued 1 inch on each end with the contact cement and let it dry for 30 minutes. I fold the ends to my 1 inch mark and flatten. I used the handle of a screw driver to make sure I had good contact and a lot of pressure. I layout my pattern and cut with a pair of shears. I have a 3/16 oval punch that I use for the band holes and the band lock hole on the end.
The pouch that is on my slingshot has over 2000 1/2 inch steel balls shot from it and it still looks good. I am going to try and keep some kind of count to see how long it last's. The pouch weighs .75 gram or 11.5 grain. When you first start shooting a single layer of pigskin it feels paper thin. It will be interesting to see how long they last.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Looks like they ought to do the job.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've just managed to acquire a very large quantity of pigskin leather - its only 0.7mm thick and as wingshooter said it feels paper thin! Incredibly strong though and should help with release technique as it is so thin! Good pouch design.

·
Super Moderator
10,990 Posts
Thanks for this. Since leather makers learned how to split skins, the leather in clothing is so thin that it tears really easily. I will have to give this a try with some of that thin clothing leather to see if it holds up.

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thanks for posting Roger. I like the idea.

I have been trying to figure out what glue would be best to use for a full length pouch lamination. It has to be something strong but flexible. Any ideas? Rubber cement? Contact cement? Gorilla glue?

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This weldwood contact cement seems to be working pretty good. I also think Barges leather glue would work. It has been around for a long time.The glue I got from Tandys let the edges lift up. Maybe I didn't let it cure enough. I am begining to think you don't need a full length lamination. This single layer pouch is holding up very good it does have a lamination at the band hole for strength. And it is very light. It will be interesting to see how long this stuff holds up.
Roger

·
See The Target
21,430 Posts
I like it. As Charles mentioned , it would enable me to use some of my thinner cuts.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Barge cement bar none is the fichizzle. It costs a little more, but less glue is required than others so it evens out, really. Excellent adhesion and pliability is retained. You simply will not find a better product for this purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts