Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Kydex is addictive!
I made my own press by buying two pieces of foam (12x12x1) from these guys and cutting out two pieces of 1" plywood to match. Some people clamp the pices of wood together while the kydex sets up, but I just stand on mine.
I also get my kydex and other small parts from them. Very good company to deal with. I've made several knife sheaths, belt hangers, and assorted other items. If you're gonna work with kydex, I'd say the two items you shouldn't skimp on or try to substitute for are the pieces of foam and a good quality heat gun. Others have tried various other types of foam with varying degrees of success, but the specially made stuff isn't super pricey to begin with and works awesomely. Some will say the heat gun isn't necessary, since you can heat the kydex in a regular or toaster oven, but I've found the heat gun makes things several orders of magnitutde easier, since the kydex starts to cool and harden very quickly. By applying the heat gun, you have far more time to get things situated in the press just right, etc.

· Registered
804 Posts
I don't know how thick the Saunders pouches are, but the potential problem with kydex is the thinnest I've ever seen is .06" (1.5mm). This is the stuff I use, and even at this thickness it's very rigid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.