Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Could it be that your double tubes are a shade heavy for the 7/16 (11 mm) steel ammo being used?

Some years ago, I used double layered 0.3 mm thick Thera-Band blue cut to 29 cm (11.4 inches) length and tapered from 26 mm to 16 mm (1.2 to 0.6 inches) to shoot 12 mm (0.47 inches) steel ammo at particle boards and tin cans. The power level with those zippy bands, based on a semi-butterfly shooting style, was truly impressive: 10 mm (0.39 inch) thick particle board turned into "Swiss cheese". I do not know whether a single layer of 0.6 mm flat band rubber would produce similar results: the problem with thin band rubber such as T-B blue is relatively limited longevity.

The draw weight was nevertheless perfectly reasonable considering the power output of this setup, which ought to work well for your 7/16 inch ammo too. Chinese "Precise" brand flat band rubber in 0.3 mm should yield similar results, in principle.

Excessively heavy bands or tubes relative to light ammo are generally counterproductive, and will indeed cause pain or numbness to the index finger (don't overdo it) during extended shooting sessions. Thus, calibrating flat bands (thickness, length, tapering) or selecting the right tubes (don't use these myself) for the main ammo being used is the way to go to optimize projectile velocity, while keeping draw weights within manageable limits.

Least but not last, this is how I hold the pouch with ammo:

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.