Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Can you tell me what type of leather you use for the pouch and how does the size and shape of the pouch affect the slingshots performance? I've got to admit I prefer a large pouch that is rough on the outside simply cos it gives me more purchase when gripping.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hi folks. Can you tell me what type of leather you use for the pouch and how does the size and shape of the pouch affect the slingshots performance? I've got to admit I prefer a large pouch that is rough on the outside simply cos it gives me more purchase when gripping.
Chrome tanned leather is what I like. Supple yet strong. Rough on the outside is the way I do it, some say it's more accurate, seems natural to me to put the bullet in the smooth grained side. Look for a short nap in the leather, that tells you it's strong.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Some time ago I purchased a 8 x 10 sheet of Suede Leather from a local Hobby store. I used what was needed for a knife project and the remainder went into a project box. When I started making my own Slingshots I made the pouches out of the Suede Leather because it was on hand. At this time I am making BB shooters (.177cal, 3.175mm) and I use no more leather than necessary. My bb pouches are 5/8 x 2 inches. This allows for a good grip on both the bb and the outside of the pouch.....Have a good day.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Thanks guys. What difference does it make having a very small light pouch compared to a larger one?
Well there's less wind resistance and weight resulting in a higher energy efficiency, i.e. more power from a lower draw weight. Although in practice this is mainly academic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.