Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I just took a trip down to the local saddlery to see if they might have some leather offcuts for sale. No luck, they no longer make anything on site.

Walking out I noticed an upholstery shop across the road so I stuck my head in and what do you know, big bag o scraps right there on the counter and I was told to help myself. It was all cream / off white but hey, it was free. First piece I picked up was rather large and if suitable, will last me for hundreds of pouches. I don't know much about leather at all but if I'd have to guess, I would say this is on the pricier side of things. Quick check with the verniers show it to be approx 1mm thick.

I've quickly cut out a pouch and put some 1745 tube on it and stretched the life out of it to the point where I thought the tube was going to snap, about 600% elongation. The holes elongated a bit, but I don't see any other signs of stretching in the leather. I'll make up a proper band set later and shoot with it a bit to see how it performs under real life conditions.

Anyway, what do you peoples look for when selecting the perfect pouch leather ? Is there anyway to tell by look, feel or texture if it will make a good pouch?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
At the present time I am using leather that is between 1 1/2 and 2 mm (1/16 inch) thick, and it is suede on both sides. I have used this leather on everything from rock shooters to bb shooters and it seems to be holding up real well. I prefer to use a limber leather rather than one that is stiff like you get on some of the commercial slingshots like Marksman or Daisy. That's just my personal choice.

·
Banned
341 Posts
Old belts that are not stitched, rather single piece leather. Usually at western shops. Also at any supply that sell horse tack, bridals, dog leashes. Law enforcement belts these are a few to keep your eye out for....Frogman

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I have been messing with "deer skin" these days, feels great and holding up well so far. I agree on the limber vs stiff, but not too limber. I ran into problems with suede ( suede, weird word, no?) ripping out too fast. It may have been what type of suede I was using.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Howdy!I just took a trip down to the local saddlery to see if they might have some leather offcuts for sale. No luck, they no longer make anything on site.Walking out I noticed an upholstery shop across the road so I stuck my head in and what do you know, big bag o scraps right there on the counter and I was told to help myself. It was all cream / off white but hey, it was free. First piece I picked up was rather large and if suitable, will last me for hundreds of pouches. I don't know much about leather at all but if I'd have to guess, I would say this is on the pricier side of things. Quick check with the verniers show it to be approx 1mm thick. I've quickly cut out a pouch and put some 1745 tube on it and stretched the life out of it to the point where I thought the tube was going to snap, about 600% elongation. The holes elongated a bit, but I don't see any other signs of stretching in the leather. I'll make up a proper band set later and shoot with it a bit to see how it performs under real life conditions.Anyway, what do you peoples look for when selecting the perfect pouch leather ? Is there anyway to tell by look, feel or texture if it will make a good pouch?
I keep my eyes open for cheap real leather black jackets on ebay I bought one recently it was a ladies jacket I cut quite large patches out give it a thin layer of pva glue as it is flexible fold the patch in half let it dry then cut the pouches out using a template you end up with soft to touch very strong pouch.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
WEll, now we're talking my language! Pouches and leather of all textures and styles! I prefer a semi stiff leather believing it releases the ammo cleaner then an extremely soft "tufted up" leather. A semi stiff leather will also keep a form better. Nice belly cuts of Cowhide(4-5 ounce) are wonderful as well as splits up to 6 ounces in weight (up to 1/8" thick). I also have found Pigskin to be awesome. Again belly cuts or flank cuts are best. Get an old boar and the hide will be too thick. Most upholstery leathers are a little too thin and weak for my taste but I did come across some very expensive seating leather scrap (about2.5 ounce) that was installed on a multi million dollar private jet that was really great-glad I didn't have to buy it though! Some saddle and chap leather types can be used and are very durable. Chrome tanned leather probably has made more slingshot pouches then any other tanning style. Veg tanned are usually a taste stiffer but not always. For some real good leather and some decent prices and some explanations on leather lingo( there is a lot to learn!),check this link out. Guy is great and also has a wonderful sense of humor! Flatband

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm

·
Banned
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the input! Very much appreciated.

After about 500 shots my test pouch seems to be holding up extremely well. Only the slightest bit of further stretching after my initial photos. I think I'm on a winner here!

@ Flatband : I always thought you looked like a guy with a leather fetish

Thanks again all, I truly value your input.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.